Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:22:36 PDT
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] duel fuel, gas or LPG/propane

>----- Original Message ----- >Subject: Re: [Syncro] duel fuel, gas or LPG/propane > >I finally got around to installing a propane fuel system on my 1987 >syncro westy.

So whats your other fuel: gas or diesel? Can you use a duel fuel setup with propane/gas, or propane/diesel, or both? Is this something People are doing a lot where you live???

> >Its a duel fuel system so the original digifant is still in place > >and functional. You just flip an electrical switch on the dash to > >change over, even while driving. > >Propane in Canada is a lot cheaper than gas or diesel, less tax. >In >Alberta its almost half the price of gas. Range has almost >doubled also. >To bad I don't have 11:1 CR to take > >advantage of the 115 octane though.

Are you talking about compression? Like I've heard of 10:1 - but you're saying that propane has really high octane.... Is this always the case with propane??? And since it has high octane, then if propane can be found everywhere (like even in Mexico), then couldn't you more readily use an engine (other than the WBX) that demands high octane (like some of the five cylinders do) if it were converted to propane???

> >Overall cost per mile is same or a little less than the 1.6 TD westy > >I >had, but there is a LOT more power. Around here it seems there are > >more >places to buy propane than diesel, so it is a practical motor > fuel (where >I live that is).

But if petrol goes through the roof, then propane conversions would be all the more attractive, especially if you can use them on gas engines...

>I did the instalation myself. It costs about $2000 CDN to get it done >with >new parts, so its generally not worth it on a 13 year old >vehicle. The >break even time comes around 120,000 kms.

What does $2000 CDN translate into American dollars?

>There are no "bolt on" kits available for the vanagon so you have to >make >some parts yourself, not to dificult though. I did it over a >long weekend. >You will need a lathe and mig welder. No internal >engine modifications are >needed, and only very little changed on the >air intake tract. Nothing >permanent is done.

No "bolt on" kits anywhere in the world??? They're not doing this anywhere??? And would this pass smog no problem???

>The engine runs smoother and is noticably quiter on the highway. >The end result is a rare combination of a spacious multipurpose 4wd > >camping vehicle which is also economical to drive. The downside is >that >the vehicle is still underpowered by todays standards. Weekend >ski traffic >on the highways around here seem to move at 75 mph. My >first choice of >powerplants would be the TDI, but that is too much >money and work for me >at this time. > >Gary Lee

You're first choice would be a diesel TDI.... so I guess that means you can't combine petrol and propane in a duel fuel setup... Or are you just trying to save fuel costs on both ends of the stick???