Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:34:08 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@netcarrier.com>
Subject:      Re: Side Tents for $399!

> Ron's tent sounds like what I have. I bought mine directly in > Germany while on vacation there. You don't need a floor, use outdoor carpeting. These > tents are heavy, sturdy, and designed to withstand storms. Germans like to > stay in one spot for a while when camping, so the tents are not > designed for quick assembly. Ask Ron about their weight.These things are heavy!!!!!!!

I currently have a couple of Vanagon tents that I've used myself. One is a genuine Westfalia one with a floor, one an aftermarket one without one. Neither was ever sold in the U.S., and both cost me much more (purchased, used, from listmembers) than I'm charging for these new ones.

From experience, I'll say this. First of all, all things being equal, I'll admit that I'd prefer to have a floor - although the Westfalia one with a floor is quite cumbersome to assemble, which in my opinion outweighs its advantage of having a floor. On the other hand, the main benefit of using such a tent (and I use mine often) is having more room. You can move things out of the van, allowing you more space to sleep and cook. You can keep your chairs and cooler in there, protected from the elements and away from view. For these benefits, a floor is not neccessary. As Steve Lashley mentioned, no currently-available Vanagon tents have floors, although he sells floor/sleeping sections that can be purchased and used with my or his tents. Actually, I might just buy one of those sleeping sections for my own tent!

Regarding the ease of assembly, I suppose it is indeed relative. I concur that it's more of a hassle than it's worth to set the tent up if you're only staying overnight. Probably about 15 minutes to assemble, about the same to take down. When Evon, Haley (age 2) and I camp overnight we don't bother with the tent; when we camp for a weekend we do. The tents are on the heavy side, but not unreasonably so. My wife, who is no amazon, can carry the bagged tent, but not without difficulty. They do take up some space when stored; the tent bag and pole bag are each nearly the size of a duffle bag.

All that said, I can't even imagine not having a tent now that we've used one. It's a playroom for Haley, a storage room for our junk, a place to get out of the rain, and much more. I've used side tents with my busses and vans for years, and putting ours up when we are on a weekend trip or longer has become as intrinsic a part of camping in our Westy as popping our top is.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW