Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2000 11:06:13 -0600
From:         Fred Brittain <vanpire@bibbs.com>
Subject:      Window tint and UV protection

Greetings,

Just ran a short experiment using my two cars and some photosynthetic beads I use to teach science. The beads change color when exposed to UV light. The greater the amount of UV, the greater the color change. We make bracelets at school and test our sunglasses, suntan lotion, etc. for their ability to block UV (both A and B) rays.

My owners manual says my 89 Westy came with a 10% window tint. It appears to be about that. The other car (variable) tested was a 94 GEO Metro (it's ok to laugh) with no visible tint.

Control was the same beads were used for both cars. I put them in each car in different places in case side windows and windshields had different levels of screening.

It APPEARS both cars offer about the same level of protection. It APPEARED the beads changed about halfway from white (no UV) to their darkest colors (unrestricted UV). Of course, that's based on my subjective opinion and my visual acuity. That is all _original_ glass in my Westy gives a measure of protection. The windshield has been replaced (SafeVue) and seems to offer little/none. I have read that all modern auto glass offers UV protection. I guess my replacement windshield can't be classified as modern.

This is a sixth grade level experiment, doesn't' really try to prove anything, and was done just for fun. But, I'm convinced all auto glass is not the same and if I ever have the extra cash to have tinting done I'll certainly ask for a demonstration of its UV protection. I use eye protecting sport shield glasses when bicycling. I've tested all tints and can't tell any difference between clear and darker colors. In their case, just being darker seems to make no difference in UV filtration. Also, I would really like to have the windshield in my Westy replaced with one that does give some protection (like about 100%).

I'm sure many on the list have real knowledge about UV rays and VW glass. I'd like to know exactly how much is being filtered by our original glass. Anyone really know?

regards,

Fred 89 Westy