Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:58:03 -0700
From:         Jeff Hammerstrom <speakerdesign@uswest.net>
Subject:      Re: AC and window tint comments
Comments: To: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@hotmail.com>

The 30% tint seems about right, I can see at night just fine and it's legal for Washington state. It is harder to see in the van from outside but you can still see in, it's not near limo tint, just darker. I wouldn't personally go any darker, lighter might be OK. I've thought about having my front window done with clear tint, it still cuts the UV and some heat.

As for the AC, it blows very cold now. I'm sure the tint helps but the van still gets pretty hot when it's sunny out and the AC cools it down quite well.

Jeff H

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Dorm [mailto:mark_hb@hotmail.com] Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 8:24 PM To: speakerdesign@uswest.net; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: AC and window tint comments

Hey, I went by the tint place the other day - I was going to do 43% SolarGard (sputtered metal tint: never fades) in Charcoal - The owner really felt that 43% would be too light - that theres a lot of light bouncing around the vanagon and that 30% in a Vanagon would look like 43% in a car.... So is your 30% light enough that you have no problem driving around at night, backing up ect - and is it light enough that per the SF Urban Camping thread you aren't giving thieves too good of a hiding spot when they're robbing your possessions in your Vanagon.

And has any one out there tinted their front windshield in a light tint? The tint shop said that the elderly do this a lot and they don't care if a cop pulls them over because they want to protect their skin -

He also said that it was cops and kids who most often tinted their front side windows dark (its illegal here in CA to tint your side windows unless its a clear security tint - which by the way they do make... - good for detering smash and grab - and in general tints would make illegal entry into your vanagon via the windows that much harder... ). But I don't know that many cops drive Vanagons, probably too slow for them.

>.... all total about $1000, ouch! I went with R-12 after reading >lots of info on R-12, 134a, Freeze 12 and others. Fortunately now the > >system works great!

It works great, but your windows are tinted - big difference - so your system is cheating (not a bad thing to do if you don't like to sweat)