Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2000 00:32:59 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      22D ECU Chip Upgrade: CREDIT CARD ONLY AT THIS POINT- TIL 4PM EST
              MON 28t...

***************************************** At this point, with the order being placed at 6 PM Monday the 28th, credit card will only be accepted.

Info for those that missed it or did not read posts...

...Chip is socketed (not soldered), so swap should not be any problem. Just > make sure precautions are taken to guard against ESD (electrostatic > discharge). I think he mentioned there may be some sort of foil shielding > to clip through to get to the chip... > > > ...****Your ECU module part number _must_ end in "022D". The chip will not > work otherwise. > > The chip can be run without rockers for about a 10% power boost, but they > _strongly_ recommended against running rockers without the chip. Yes, you > get a larger power boost but you will end will end up with a _very_ rich > exhaust mixture. Apparently the airbox is 'overstimulated' with the ratio > rockers, and the _stock_ ECU cannot accurately process/calculate the proper > fuel ratios. The engine with the new chip (with/without ratio rockers) > should still pass the sniff test (!). The chip should have sufficient > capacity to handle additional headwork, cam changes and exhaust work (but > to what degree I did not fully explore). Even a three angle valve job > would be a worthwhile improvement. Richard did wisely recommend a valve > spring upgrade if one departs from the profile of the stock cam. They > faxed me a dyno printout (actually, the exact same one scanned in at Kyle > Wade's website) which shows an increase of rear wheel horsepower from about > 58 horsepower (stock) to about 62 horsepower (new chip only). The chip > with ratio rockers (1.4:1 I believe) gives about 85 horsepower at the > wheel. This chip was originally designed to add to their Vanagon Truck > used to tow their race car with tools, spares, etc, with their 'goal' being > a total increase of 10-15%. I guess they made it... >

I will need 10 buyers to confirm to making the purchase. I am finding out the total cost, shipping, insurance from Australia to US.

I have a computer business that takes credit cards and the chip is a "computer upgrade."

Options are:

1) Buy the chip from the computer business. We would charge the credit card OR mail certified check to the computer business. Then the computer business will buy the lot of chips. When they arrive I will ship them to the buyers, with US postage. No sales tax unless you are in NC.

2) If the company will do this. Buyer calls Australia, orders chip. If we get 10 it will be lower price, if not @$60 more. After a period of ordering time, the company will send the chips to me, who then will send then to individuals that ordered for the cost of shipping in US.

3) You buy from the company and pay for international shipping rates.

Questions about the ECU Chip Upgrades- Answered....

Performance Enhancements-DO they WORK and what will happen to my engine

I am writing this message from a computer in Bozeman, Montana. I will be home later to fully respond to the number of emails that I have received.

The main question is WHAT is the ECU chip upgrade going to do to my engine???

Simply put, your engine will run better...

Why you ask?

The way the ECU responds to the various sensor signals is changed. Rather than start the engine lean and use the various sensors to correct the mixture to the proper ratio, as VW does, the Australian company, starts the mixture rich and use the sensors to correct the mixture to achieve the proper ratio.

What will the effect then be on the engine?

On a stock engine without the ratio rockers, there will be a small benefit, The engine will be able to make its power easier. If you add ratio rockers or other modifications, there will be a greater proportional increase in power.

Consider a box that two people are pushing. One person can just push the box with all its strength and the other can push the box easily. The one that is pushing the box at the upper limits of their power will not be able to push as efficiently as the other will.

I had a customized T4 2L engine in my 73' VW Bus. It had a Porsche 914 hydraulic performance cam, Modified 914 racing exhaust, electronic ignition AND DUAL- DUAL Throat 36mm Dellorto carburetors. I was getting @20 mpg at @70 mph. The power was OK. I switched to LARGER 40mm carburetors. You would expect the mileage to decrease, BUT it increased to 30 mph at @70mph. It increased because the larger carburetors made the engine run more efficiently. I did not have to have my foot in the gas as long to get up to speed.

In the same way, the ECU Chip should not decrease the mileage but maintain or even increase the mileage, Because the engine can now run more efficiently. The improvements made to the WBX engine have increased the power, the reliability and the efficiency all with an INCREASE in mileage.

Will the life of my engine be cut short with the new chip?

No, not unless you start driving like a mad person! The life of the engine can actually be increased. You would not have to run the RPMs up, shifting as high to increase speed. The engine can run cooler because it is not in such a lean, heat producing state. If you plan to add the chip, make sure all the FI parts are in good working order along with the engine.

If you add the 1.25 ratio rockers, there could be some increased wear on the valve guides if swivel valve adjusters are not used. The 1.4 rockers have a offset arm so the valve guide should be similar to stock wear.

I had my cam lift increased and added Rhino 1.25 ratio rockers with Rhino swivel rocker adjusting screws (911 style) Rather than go to 1.4 rockers.

While adding just the ECU chip will get you a small increase in power (Some want just a small increase in power) If you want to gain additional HP add the various bolt on items discussed- air filter, muffler, ratio rockers, quad tip plugs, synthetic oil in engine and tranny. Still not enough, when rebuild time port intake, exhaust, increase cam one step, maybe two, counterweight crank, balance engine.

90>100>115>130+

I have not added the chip yet. I wanted to add the modifications to my engine before the chip to see if I would need the chip. After running the modifications for 26,000 miles, while they run good, I think that the chip will enhance what Ihave done. I think that On a stock engine, unless the chip changes your current driving habits, there should not be a change for the worse in mileage. The engine will still be running at the correct ratio, but will be able to run better. I have raised my mileage from 18 mph to @25 mpg on flat to moderately hilly @75 mph while increasing my power. In the engine, I changed only the cam to a slightly bigger lift and duration increase and added ratio rockers. The rest is basically stock. I have been in email contact with the designer of the chip and thay have been using it in their delivery vanagon for about 6 years now with no troubles.

http://www.volks-motorsports.com/Chips-Rockers.html

Here is the link to Dyno test results.

You can run the chip without rockers to get a boost in power.

____________________

<< Is this the same chip that we were going around about a couple of years ago? >>

Yes, I have started to look for the supplier a few months ago. I had forgotten about the discussion. I ran across the chip when I went to the wrong year on the list and found the message and the web address.

<<Are the rocker arms needed and where are they available? >>

The company said that the chip will work without the rockers. It will give a boost in power.

<<Who was spearheading this in the past and are you satisified with their experience?>>

I do not know if there was a person doing a group purchase in the past, just finding out info about the chip.

__________________________________

The total cost for

1 chip $450.00 Aussie @0.59 equals USD $265.00 10 chips $3500.00 Aussie @0.59 equals USD $2065.00 to be mailed to

Freight and Insurance $90.00 Aussie or @0.59 equals USD $53.00 for the 10 chips

one chip would be approx $15.00 Aussie or @0.59 equals USD 9.00

so USD $274.00 for 1 chip or USD $2118.00 for 10 chips OR $211.8 each plus shipping to you in US

Here is some additional info with an article to follow as soon as I get it.

.... In our experience we have not seen any loss of fuel consumption, however our customers have noted in many cases, better fuel consumption, but as you know it always depends on how you drive and of course road conditions, either city of country driving etc etc. Once again too many variables.

We have an article from one of our customers, who wrote to one of the Australian Volkswagen magazines a few years ago praising the component.

We will endeavor to retype or scan the message on an email to you ASAP. Great work getting 7 buyers.

Dave VVDS....

___________________________

The current price is $211.80 plus shipping to you.

I have asked David to write a receipt for each person for a cash sale. This way each purchase is under the @$400 US duty free limit.

If you can, sent a cashiers check rather than a credit card (It costs my company 2% per CC transaction, if you need to OK)

Once all the money is here, I will place the order on my credit card for the purchase. Then once the chips are here I will then mail them to each of you.

I do not know what the exchange rate will be in a week, possibly stay the same or Up or down.

If you send $230, it will cover the chip cost plus the shipping costs and any remaining I will send back to you. If it comes out to be more I would like for you to send me the additional amount.

Hopefully, I will be able to take some digital PICS to aid the instructions and clarify if needed.

I will then finally have my car Dyno'ed for the results before and after.

If any of you need references I have a few from those that I have sold parts to in the past. Here are 3:

KENWILFY@AOL.COM traded 2.1L airbox for waterpump.

hajasz@earthlink.net Steve Hajasz bought used 2.1 head

gstearns@sprintmail.com Gary Stearns bought some Vanagon lowered springs

What I have read and been told, that it should not be a problem. If ratio rockers are added, then you will not pass emissions if you do not have the chip. The chip alone adds @10% power, more if you make other changes to the engine.

3. What is the price?

The group price is going to be @$211.80 + shipping to you from me. The actual cost of the chip depends on the current exchange rate w/Australia.

Others are sending me a MO for $230 and the remaining from purchase will be sent back with chip.

I have 16 confirmed buyers and a few other possibles. David will still give us the low price. The current price is $211.80 plus shipping to you.

I have asked David to write a receipt for each person for a cash sale. This way each purchase is under the @$400 US duty free limit.

If you can, sent a cashiers check rather than a credit card (It costs the company 2% per CC transaction, if you need to OK)

Once all the money is here, I will place the order on my credit card for the purchase. Then once the chips are here I will then mail them to each of you.

I do not know what the exchange rate will be in a week, possibly stay the same. Up or down.

If you send $230, it will cover the chip cost plus the shipping costs and any remaining I will send back to you. If it comes out to be more I would like for you to send me the additional amount.

Hopefully, I will be able to take some digital PICS to aid the instructions and clarify if needed.

I will then finally have my car Dyno'ed for the results before and after.

If any of you need references I have a few from those that I have sold parts to in the past.

Robert

919-556-8639 H 919-510-6854 W

Robert Lilley 1124 Buttercup Lane Wake Forest, NC 27587

Robert