Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:46:03 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: TiiCo engine vs. Eurospec
Comments: To: hdeboer@bssd.net

HERMANN,

In defense of the WBX

<<All this justifies a 6000$ conversion pricetag, I believe. >>

That would get you the changes to the WBX AND a five speed SA gearbox,PLUS a lot of the FI parts replaced...

<<For anybody who wants reliability and performance >>

How? When you talk about starter problems and exhaust problems...and what will be next?

The only trouble I have had with my Customized WBX 2.1L is when the LockRite locking diff acted up and I had to send it back to get replaced, wait that was with the FIVE speed transmission, NOT the engine. The only problem with my WBX is the main seal was slightly dented by me during install that cause a oil vapor venting problem. I had one NON-German coolant hose on the cooler start to leak after 15,000 miles, put a clam on it and it is leaks no more. The hose is slightly smaller on the outside than German and the factory clamp was not tight enough after some running. Outside of that I was fixing some minor problems with the FI SYSTEM.

I replaced FI parts mainly because they were 10+ years old and some were damaged from a short in the hall sensor.

And as for performance...

I can take third from 15 mph up to 55 mph, fourth 25 mph to 75 mph and fifth from 35 up to 90 mph+. At 75 mph I am getting 25 mpg with non-oxygenated fuel. I can cruise at 85 mph barely touching the gas...When I get the ECU Chip upgrade, there will be even more power and the mileage might even increase.

I can take my engine down to 1500 rpms and pull it back to 5000 rpms (as far as I NEED to take it). Normal driving rpm driving is 2000 to 4600.

<<If you are a purist stay with the original.>>

It is not a matter of "purist" it is what can work. With a few changes to the WBX it could have given you the power and relability that you desire. All of your FI parts are NEW and so is the engine. Give it a few years and you will start to have FI problems same as the WBX...

Parts wear out. The main problems with the WBX outside if the head gasket and power, is with the FI system. With the high mileage Vanagon drivers put on their vans, there are a few FI parts that tend to get worn out and cause problems, replace the part and the problems are gone...

If you simply replace ALL the OLD worn out FI parts with NEW, then that should last another 100,000 miles or 10 years...

And with the list venders and the dramatic DECREASE in VW FI parts, it is a lot CHEAPER today than a few years ago.

<<If my wife ever found out how much money I have spend on my Westy!!!!????????>>

My wife KNOWS what I spent and she lets me know every few days...

But to each their own...

Robert