Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:57:12 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:      Re: E-code lights/SA grille

>This is another reason I don't like the SA grille: you can't use the E-code >lights on them...

What's so great about these "E-code" lights? My Caravelle has 7" round nonsealed H4s, and they are brilliant...throw a good long wide white beam with no hot spots or holes. Not all H4 units are born equal, and most I've used aren't much better than the old nonQH sealed beams.

The best lights I've used were my 88 Nissan Skyline's. Amazing, and factory-standard 65/55W. Good lights don't have to be round or high-wattage. I put 100/80W H4 bulbs into my Bay and got no improvement over the old 65/55 H4s.

It's not the bulb that gives a good light, but the lens and reflector. You can't tell just by looking at it, either.

H4 is a quartz-halogen (or you can call them QI or quartz-iodide) bulbs are dual-filament, that is, high/low. H3s are also, if i remember rightly, but have a subtly different base, and are used on many Japanese-market cars.

The thing to watch for is the low-beam cutoff pattern in the glass: This is the diagonal pattern from the center to one side or the other. Having it on the wrong side will cause blinding of oncoming drivers and is of course illegal (I once bought an H4 for my Honda CBX and found that somehow an LHD unit had been imported). The RSA H4 has the wrong cutoff for the US market.

I'll be ordering RSA grills next month. An immigrant will bring them here as excess luggage. Cheap rate!

The RSA upper grill has wide bars (about 5) instead of the olf Golf-style one with this bars. It has normal 7" light openings that fit right over any round-light T3's lights, plus a pair of smaller-diameter high beams inboard. Gives it a Golf GTi look, really transforms it. The RSA grills come exRSA as a kit, with the inner lights and their mounting buckets. RSA lower seal grill is full-width, and the indicators screw onto the ends. I believe any T3 indicators will fit, you don't need new ones to match the grill. again, this grill looks heaps better than the narrow one. Cost in RSA: upper grill kit 577Rand, lower grill R434 (total ~$180US) plus freight.

The side step will be a step attached under the sliding door, to help feebler folk step up.

Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand VW & mollusc nut 1969 Kombi with Corvair 2.4 & Powerglide 1975 Kombi derelict ex 3.6 Toyota V8 1984 Caravelle 3.8 Holden V6 1984 Mitsubishi Galant Sigma 2.0 (FWD) 1986 CE80 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX diesel 1989 CT170 Toyota Corona Select 2.0 diesel