Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:52:21 -0400
From:         "1980 VW Westfalia \"Pokey\"" <pokey@vanagon.org>
Subject:      Clutch Problems / Brake Fluid Replacement

Most people who responded to my clutch problem post thought it was low or dirty brake fluid. Its funny because after looking at my Bentley the level was the first thing I checked, I must actually be catching on or something.

The level was about half way between Max and Min so I think its OK, but the fluid itself seemed pretty dirty. Moreover I was hit with an additional "symptom". I was driving along and the vehicle hesitated or lurched. It was open road and not necessarily accelerating, nor was I touching the clutch at all. It didn't feel like slipping like clutch problems I've had in other vehicles where the revs climb and the vehicle doesn't accelerate. Is it possible that the brakes came on momentarily, because that is what it felt like...

Next question, I want to replace the fluid in my brakes myself and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation on a good brake bleeding tool to buy? Plus, I'm not really happy with Bentley's instructions has anyone seen a better description of how-to-bleed-brakes-for-the-complete-idiot? Also, I heard you really have to watch out for the bleeder screws as they can break... any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris Gronski Toronto, Ontario, '80 Westy "Pokey" '87 Chevrolet Sprint 5-Door '91 Pontiac Firefly Convertible

------- Start of forwarded message ------- Subject: Clutch Problems To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM From: pokey@vanagon.org Date: 27 Aug 2000 07:59:52 PDT

Things seem to be getting worse with my clutch. I usually leave the westy in gear after I shut down the engine, then push the clutch when starting the engine. This morning when I tried to start my westy I got that kind of hesitation and lunge you get when you try to start the car in gear, even though the clutch was FULLY depressed. With the engine off I shifted into neutral and managed to start her, but then had trouble finding a gear. I also heard a couple of "clunks" while looking.

First gear was impossible to find but I got her into second and she did finally get going. After I got moving the problem seemed to go away, I have only owned her a short time and I've always found it somewhat difficult to find gears. See below for earlier symptoms.

I assume this is a problem with my clutch, but I'm open to suggestions. Any thoughts on how many hours a shop would charge to redo the clutch?

Thanks, Chris Gronski Toronto, Ontario, '80 Westy "Pokey"

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Christopher Michael Gronski" <chrisgronski@hotmail.com> Reply-To: "Christopher Michael Gronski" <chrisgronski@hotmail.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Dead / not dead clutch pedal Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:48:48 -0400 I'm still trying to diagnose exactly when this happens but here's what I know so far: Today I was driving along in 4th and saw the light changing ahead, I pushed the clutch in and everything was fine but when the pedal reached the bottom it felt dead, like it didn't have the spring back or resistance that it should. I came to a stop at the light, shifted into 1st, lifed my foot off the clutch and everything was fine. Any thoughts? Is this just because I'm not used to my vehicle yet or is it a symtom of an impending problem?

Thanks, Chris Gronski Toronto, Ontario '80 Westy "Pokey

[text/html]