Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:55:51 PDT
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: At long last protype waterbox bleeding,
              draining and purging installed and operating

>From: "Jonc" <jonc@webgears.com>

>I have made some modifications to the 1.9 WBX cooling system...

>First I installed a valve in the lower hose of the radiator which >allows >for draining and filling... [filling using a pump]

>Then I installed a small automatic vent in the spot where the radiator > >vent bolt used to be...

Where did you get this small automatic vent? Whats the part number? Who makes it? You're not worried that it will fail at some point?

>Then I installed a vent in each of the hoses on the back wall of the > >engine compartment right next to the odd little plastic vent that VW > >installed..

>With these small modifications I am able to get all the air out of the > >system with no problem .... The van can be flat on the ground and does > >not have to be run to filled... I have drained and filled the system > >many times at this point and have never had the flashing low water >idiot >light on the temp gage come on even for a second...

Not even when you start it up???

>The van runs at 85 degrees C where the thermostat opens and never >varies even when idling for and hour in the 100 degree heat here in >South >Florida...

Would you or have you used water wetter in this?

If I recall right, the BMW thermistat I have (which is paired with a matched fan switch) is marked as 80 degrees C.

>It is my opinion that it is not possible to get all the air out >of the system as designed by VW... It is just not a well vented >system... >The cooling system is plenty big enough to cool under any >ambient >condition. .....IF you can get all the air out.... >I can and do ...

>One of the secretes of venting the air is filling slowly from the >bottom >valve with a small pump... the air is displaced out the vents >almost >totally.... As the coolant starts coming out of each vent you >shut it down >until the last thing open is the radiator or the >expansion tank when that >is full... Run the van up to temp and watch >the expansion tank... It may >loose 2 inches when running the first >time... If the temp is already up >just crack the cap on the expansion >tank and that water will vent ... As >soon as that happens retighten >the cap...

Do you have any air in the expansion tank (is that the right word for it: I don't mean the overflow tank) - Is it completely full of nothing but water and coolant and no air space???

>Then drive the van as you like you are done...The automatic vent at >the >radiator will vent small amounts of air...

Without this automatic vent installed where would the air otherwise go and how would you deal with it???