Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:25:28 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      FW: Offensive Nissan ad triggers complaints to stations, FTC,
              Attorney's General
Comments: cc: "type2@type2.com" <type2@type2.com>

VW friends-

I am yet again in "No Mail" mode on the lists...

However, I know most of you are irked by aggressive driving. Here is a bit you may want to take action on in your home town/state. You be the judge.

Peace,

G. Matthew Bulley, Principal Consultant Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 Tollfree www.bulley-hewlett.com

-----Original Message----- From: Bulley [SMTP:gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 10:59 AM To: 'webmaster@www.nissan-usa.com' Cc: 'pednet@flora.ottawa.on.ca'; Subject: Offensive Nissan ad triggers complaints to stations, FTC, Attorney's General

Dear Nissan Motors Corp.-

TV stations nationwide are currently airing your commercial for the 2001 Nissan Frontier pickup truck. It ends with these words by Nissan Chief Designer Jerry Hirschberg: "The new Frontier makes a statement. "I believe what it says is: 'Get out of my way!'" That is an outrage. There is enough implicit encouragement of aggressive driving in society; your ad crosses the line. Your ad is an explicit approval from Nissan Motors Corp. of aggressive driving. Your ad (and the visual design of the vehicle) implies, "The Frontier is for the driver who thinks other people's safety is secondary in importance to his own needs or desires. We at Nissan like this driver. We build cars for him to live out this belief." Today, complaints have been filed (by concerned citizens like myself) with the Federal Trade Commission in regard to this ad. Following this note, I will lodge a complaint with Mike Easley, the state attorney general of North Carolina. Further, each station that airs the ad is being targeted for similar complaints. I am a member of internet news groups that are rapidly circulating information regarding your ad, including steps citizens can take against Nissan and the stations airing the ad. I would respectfully ask that you pull this and apologize to the American public for Nissan Motors Corporation's serious misdeed.

G. Matthew Bulley, Principal Consultant Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Mount Olive, NC USA 919.658.1278 Direct www.bulley-hewlett.com