Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:43:22 -0400
From:         Flat Four <aircooledvw77t1@ENGINEER.COM>
Subject:      FWD: Re: Type 1 Crash test Ratings
Comments: To: type2@lenti.type2.com, VintageBus List <vintagebus@type2.com>,
          VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu, things@topica.com

------Original Message------ From: Jeff Keith <revcop@ix.net.au> To: VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu Sent: August 30, 2000 5:38:06 AM GMT Subject: Re: Type 1 Crash test Ratings

Hmmm, that's kinda hard, but I love a hypothetical. I'd guess it'd be about a quarter of a star for vehicles with the solid steering shaft, up to maybe a whole three quarters of a star for the collapsible shaft models!!! A crash test simulates two vehicles hitting head on at about 60 km/h. It assumes both vehicles are deformable in some way, that's why they use a solid barrier and hit it with a test vehicle going at a lower speed. Of course if you were to throw a spark into the equation with our front mounted tanks the result may be a bit lower .... I could possibly find some "happy snaps" over at Highway Patrol or the Crash Investigation Unit, but they wouldn't be pretty .... ie they take pics of the worst prangs with the worst results. Jeff Bathurst, NSW Australia 66 Aussie Beetle Marvin the Revbug "Keeping the Fweem Alive"

---------- > From: Flat Four <aircooledvw77t1@engineer.com> > To: VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu > Subject: Type 1 Crash test Ratings > Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:46:12 -0400 (EDT) > >If the Type 1 were to be tested like any of todays modern cars what >would it's ratings be? 1 star head on collision or what? Any good >websites out there besides the one with pictures of a Beetle with an >airbag crashing into a brick wall? >TIA