Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:23:43 -0300
From:         Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Rust protection - Oiling - caution

Frank and all interested,

My original concern was to warn about the effects or Motor Oil really eating away at rubber: it seems to chemically break down the rubber.

As for Rust Check / Krown products, swelling doesn't sound so bad, but how long has this been your case, Frank?

Larry Johnson says it "softens rubber", but my concern is: will it eventually destroy the rubber? If so, I'd say it's a problem, and potentially a costly one to fix (door seals, Motor and tranny mounts, through chassis wiring grommets, V-belts, rad hoses etc...) . This was the case for the rusty Ford era in the Maritimes when motor oil was used: you won the battle against rust but lost the war shortly after to short circuits, damaged motor mounts, leaking collant etc.

Does anyone have particular experience or knowledge to share? How about an industrial chemist?

I would certainly suggest that the benefits of protecting from the obvious destruction by rust outweigh simple swelling of rubber. However I have excersided caution (and would advise same) to only apply the products sparingly around any rubber, certainly not soaking areas near rubber parts.

JGS

84 Westy 1.9 digijet 95 Passat VR6

----- Original Message ----- From: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 8:19 AM Subject: Re: Rust protection - Oiling - caution