Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:51:33 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 up vanagon owners....you still need an oil gauge!

Congrats to all of you high mileage 2.1 owners, I hope to do the same with my new engine, but I can't stress enough the need for an oil pressure gauge!

These engines can, and probably will, run strong right up to the time of disaster, giving you no warning of immanent catastrophic failure if you don't know the status of your oil pressure!

My situation:

1990 used engine, 140,000 miles at failure, heads done at 90,000. Compression: 132-136 psi. High volume oil pump. Normal oil consumption (1 qt./1500 miles. Ran perfectly and was very strong, no smoke, no noises, not even valve lifters. Cruised effortlessly for 3000 miles in six days on last trip, mostly at 75 mph in 85-98 degree temps Cooling system perfect, 20w-50 Castrol, factory filters.

OIL PRESSURE: 8 psi at idle, 24 psi cruising when installed at 130,000 miles. Over the next 10,000 miles pressure steadily dropped to 4 psi idle, 12-15 psi cruising. At the end of the 3000 mile trip idle pressure was zero (red light came on), cruising 8 psi. Blew up at 65 mph 65 miles from home, still running strong!

My new 2.1 engine (with high volume oil pump): 8-12 psi idle, 38-42 psi cruising at 65 mph, depending on temp. I have also installed the Trasko oil filter system, although I will continue to change the oil every 5000 miles. Having worked in the micro filtration business (Millipore Corp) their system of combining a large depth-type filter and a mircon filtration screen makes sense to me: http://trasko-usa.com. I'll keep you posted on this, I am installing them on all my cars.

Once a rod bearing starts to go, it goes fast (3000 miles!), and without warning (except oil pressure).

I knew I was pushing it, and I pushed too far. Ignorance is not bliss with these engines! -- Stuart MacMillan Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia '65 MGB (Driven since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring)

Assisting on Restoration: '72 MGB GT (Daughter's) '64 MGB (Son's)

Parts cars: '68 & '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT