Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:53:33 -0600
From:         jbrush@WWW.AROS.NET
Subject:      end the guns thread, please

>Hi Tom...thanks for the reminder about gun >content.. >communicated on an individual basis. Thanks for your >even handed >administration of these procedings Lee

I not much of a contributer, but I feel like a part of the community and I want to express my dismay at messages like this. This is Tom's list, and I will fight to the death his right to include or exclude any subject that he (or the group) sees fit.

However, I cannot sit here and read a message that calls the handling of the firearms issue 'even handed.' It is censorship. Its okay because its a private list, please don't anyone get me wrong, but it is not 'even handed.'

The rationale that it is non-vanagon and therefore is not allowed, is not valid as there is a thread going around now about cooking, which is no more vangon related than the 'g' word. (some of us cook, some of us hunt)There is always an amount of OT banter in any group.

As I said, its up to Tom, he has spoken, and I respect that, but I think its important as grownups and contributors to society to realize that the 'g' word is forbiden not because its non-vangon, but because people are too immature to handle it. I think that distinction matters a great deal.

I wrote a whole bunch more and have decided to delete as I don't want to prolong this, but its time folks started taking some accountability for their own actions, and calling censorship even handed is just going a bit too far.

One more time I emphasize that Tom can censor anything he chooses and I don't disagree with that authority, or his right to censor subjects, but I do take issue with calling that censorship "even handed" when it is not.

My regrets to all who disagree, but the last time I looked, we were all in favor of freedom of expression.

Kind Regards,

John