Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:25:16 EDT
From:         Peter Krogh <VW85Westy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Starter, trip Update, Modifications

This seems to have bounced. forgive me if it did not. Peter

Greetings List, Thanks for the help with the starter motor (and the Oil Pressure last week). It starts now, at least. I will take it on a bit of a drive tomorrow, and see if the hot start problem returns. I only need to start it about 4 more times before I get home, so confidence is high.

I thought I would take a minute and list the modifications and repairs that I did before the trip, as well as give a little feedback on those. I thought I had posted the Modifications earlier, but it never showed up on the digest. Apologies if it did and I am repeating myself.

Before leaving, I got some cool stuff from GoWesty and the Bus Depot, and Zippy has never looked better , as long as you gloss over the dents ;-). **New Carpet Mats from GoWesty, $150 w/ shipping, very nice touch. **New 3 window poptop canvas from GoWesty ($250, about 3.5 hours installation solo.) This is an incredible improvement. Much more ventilation, visibility, a great improvement. **New 3 Point seatbelt from VW. ($95, 1.5 hrs installation) Great Improvement. I urge EVERYONE to do this to their van. The hardest part was locating the place to cut through the paneling, if anyone is doing this, I would be happy to go out and measure. Also perplexing was that the seatbelt bolts were not metric??? Now, has anyone put a driver's side rear 3 point on a westy? It looks like it should be possible if one cuts through the cabinet. ** New Nizza 2 tent from Eurocampers. ($650 w/ sleeping cabin) Expensive, yes. But what great design. Travelling with a family of four, with a bunch of gear, it makes all the difference in the world. Added groundcloth and and cotton rugs. ** New CD player. Putting my whole collection on burnables. Much more space efficient. (Of course there are drawbacks. At our first destination we were given a copy of Charlotte's Web on tape ( for our 5&6 year olds and for the 8 hour drive) Had to borrow a cassette deck to play it.) ** New Front Window screens from GoWesty. ($60) Expensive, but ventilation is so great right now. Wish I had them for the last 15 years. **New Muffler from Bus Depot. Got to use my new Sawzall on the old one. Now Zippy only whispers. **Not new, but a new use. I have started using my jack to level the van and dampen rocking when camping. I can't believe I waited so long to try this, it works beautifully. I will be looking for a second jack ASAP.

Trip so Far We left DC thursday night and made it to northern Pennsylvania before camping. Could have made it all the way to Deposit NY, our destination, but I was secretly hoping we would not, and that we would be able to camp. Found a nice state Park, Hickory Creek. Total Miles 340.

The camper was only a playhouse that weekend, as were were given house privlidges. The 4 kids loved it, and played there all day.

Left Deposit early monday morning, and headed south, about 480 miles down interstate 81. Went 55-75 the whole way, depending on the incline. The van ran great, although it is running hot at idle, and slightly hot (needle in the middle of the warning light) on the highway. I may try and bleed the system either on the trip or later, and I certainly will have it looked at when I return. I had asked my mechanic to put in a low-temp fan switch two weeks ago, and he returned the car saying that the current one worked exactly at spec. I guess I need to be more forceful next time.

Anyway, Monday night was our only family-only camping of the trip. We visited Natural Bridge, both the bridge and the caverns. I spied a yellow 85 westy there with UNC stickers on it (just like ours) and met the owner, Larry. He is a dentist from Long Island who found his van through the list or through Vanagon.com. Nice guy and somewhat brave soul to take a week-long trip in a van he had only owned for several weeks.

We stayed at a KOA in Natural Bridge VA, which we like because of proximity to the highway and for the nice pool. We did not set up the side tent, as we were only there for a night.

Left Tuesday for the In-laws place in Bakersville NC (40 miles NE of Asheville). The van ran great for the 300 miles, except for the aforementioned hot-start problem, and the hot idle. Did the mountian pass no sweat. Currently parked in a beautiful spot off the long driveway, where my wife and I sleep while the children sleep inside (everyone's happy).

On friday, we will head to a campout at a friend's property about 40 miles from here, near a blip of a town called Edgemont. There will be 60 adults and 40 children camping for the weekend, at the 19th annual version of this party. We will undoubtedly have the choicest rig.

If all goes well for the last leg, we are all back in DC on Monday. Josie prepares for the first day of second grade, Maddy for Kindergarden, I'm preparing for a photo shoot in Nebraska, Erie PA, and San Francisco, and my wife works to save the fate of her employer, Microstrategy. After work/school, Josie and I will sit out in the camper and read Harry Potter, and think about our family's wonderful time away from home.

Thanks for all your help in keeping the van running and making this possible. Peter, His Family, and Zippy