Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:32:25 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: '86 up vanagon owners....you still need an oil gauge!
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>

> Oil consumption is normal in any engine, a small amount will get by the > rings and valve guides if it is doing its job. In the 25 or so cars > I've owned, and many were new, all have consumed at least a pint in 1000 > miles.

Well, I also have owned many vehicles... many from new... and haven't noticed the oil consumption that you mention... certainly not "at least a ping in 1000 miles".... that would make 3/4 qt in a 3000 mile oil change... I've noticed manybe half of that on new vehicles... maybe less

Horizontally opposed engines are the worst due to oil collecting > on the bottom surface of the cylinders. Either you have an exceptional > engine or gas is leaking into your crankcase and topping the oil up for > you! (That's happened to me.) Or maybe elves are filling it up at night. > ;-)

No... must be elves.... cause when they put the sniffer to my oil at the dump to prevent me from dumping oil with gasoline content it does not buzz...

Bill