Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:33:38 -0500
From:         "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Oh no, not tires again
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MB.SYMPATICO.CA>

> However, do the 195/75/14 throw off my speedometer? At 4000 rpm, I'm going > 120 km/h. Does that jive with everyone else?

Hi, Jeff, Determining the effect a change in tire size upon speedometer readings was a concern of mine when buying new tires for my Westy. If we accept the aspect ratio of the straight 185R14 tire to be 82 as per the tire information shown at http://www.hrps.demon.nl/jwbus/T2-tires.htm then mounting a 195/75R14 tire will put the speedometer out by about .5% (i.e..: the speedometer will show your speed as .5% faster than actual) as per the tire calculation website http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html.

BTW, I decided to go with Hankook 819 195/75R14 tires on my Westy. I've heard favourable comments about them plus the price is reasonable ($92 CDN, installation, balancing, valve stems included).

Roy O. '87 Westfalia GL (till death do us part)