Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:51:58 -0500
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Install Canoe to inside 87"Westy..
Comments: To: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>

I'm going to try and sort this one out.

1. Mad River Canoe company sold a series of fold up canoes a few years ago. I helped put one together at a boat demo day once and If memory serves, they had a 12' a 14 or 15' and a 17' model. As I recall they were called Pak Canoes and sold for about $100 a foot. This is not to be confused with the Old Town 12' Pack Canoe which may very well fit inside a Vanagon or loaf by removing he passenger seat. I have seen a 13 foot solo whitewater canoe stuffed in a Vanagon w/ front seat out before, but room for little else. I can get a 4 meter Olympic slalom kayak inside my 90 GL if I wedge it in at an angle(and be real careful when I close the back hatch!!) and have had as many as 5 kayaks stuffed inside my van without removing the front seat(obviously the middle seat is out). I think that day I also had one canoe and 9 more kayaks on top of the van. I've had 5 16' tandem canoes stacked on their sides and lashed together and to my custom designed boat roof rack for transport, but that gets to be a very large sail for the van to deal with in crosswinds.

There are also folding kayaks for sale too, Klepper makes some and I'm sure other companies do too, not sure if Folboat is still around or not.

Old Town ran an ad once showing one of their Discovery(cheap-ass polyethylene plastic, but better than a Coleman) line canoes being dropped off the 4th story of their plant. A motor drive series of shots and finally revealing that it suffered no major damage. Not sure if that's what this gentleman saw or thought he saw or not. I think I had some Vanagon related stuff in here somewhere.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, but as Steven Wright would say, "I like to reminisce with people I don't know....granted, it takes longer....."-----Original Message----- From: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, August 31, 2000 3:03 AM Subject: Re: Install Canoe to inside 87"Westy..