Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:44:03 -0400
From:         Tony Thompson <tonyt_eye@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Michelin Agilis Re: vanagon Digest - 30 Aug 2000 (#2000-22)
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:49:11 -0700, Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA> wrote:

>Frank, > >This is not true. The Agilis 61 that I am using are great, strong, good >traction and I think better than the Yokos before. > >The only bad experience I have heard about the Agilis line was one list >member mistakenly installed Agilis 81 on his van, This is a tire desigend >for much heavier vehicles. > >Alistair > > > > > >>In a message dated 8/31/00 12:00:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >>LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: >> >><< Michelin Agaris.. >> >> It's Michelin Agilis. Do not even think about them. They are nothing >>but trouble. See all the posts in the archives under Michelin Agilis. >> >>Cheers >> >>Frank Condelli

I saw the bad press about the Michelin Agilis so thought you might be interested in my experience. I put on a full set of Agilis 81 on my Westy, the dealer said use them and if any problems he'd take them back. They are rated 2200lbs at 69psi maximum. I found them very comfortable at 45 rear and 40 front which more accurately matches the vehicles load range. These tires have M/S rating and deep treads but not very aggressive so they don't seem too noisy. These are clearly the best handling tires I've ever had on the van (previously Continental reinforced). They are a little bit rougher than the Contis on rough roads but no problem on the highways. The tires completely eliminated the white knuckle driving in wind or when a truck goes by. Now the good news, the Agilis 81 cost 125Can /tire, so a full set installed was about 550Can. I recommend them provided you don't mind a firmer ride. Ps don't fill them to the maximum pressure or you will knock your fillings out. These tires are no more overated for the load than most passenger car tires are underated, I know which side of the equation I'd rather be on Tony 85GL Westfailure