Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:26:35 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONMARKETING.NET>
Subject:      Oh no not tires, Agilis, etc.

Frank Wrote: <<It's Michelin Agilis. Do not even think about them. They are nothing but trouble. See all the posts in the archives under Michelin Agilis.>>

I'd respectfully like to offer that "they are nothing but trouble" is inaccurate. Some people have had bad things to say about them, others have had great things to say about them - as has been the case with almost every other tire ever discussed on this list. I wouldn't take ANY tire advice from this list as gospel, because no one has driven enough different tires on their vans to make any truly valid claims about one model being better or worse than another.

(For the spec page on the Agilis, go to this nearly-impossible-to-find address: http://www.michelin.com/us/eng/news/agilis/3.htm )

I wouldn't have had good things to say about my Goodyear Wrangler HT's when I first got them last fall, but now they seem just fine. "What you are used to" plays a huge, completely subjective part in anyone's evaluation of a tire, and not taking that into account when reading advice is a mistake. Buy a tire that has a load rating suitable for the Vanagon with a tread pattern that suits the sort of driving you do that is made by a reputable manufacturer and installed by a competent tire shop and you'll be just fine with whatever you get. Please realize, of course, that this is just my personal opinion.

And I just have to add this... PLY RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF PLIES IN A TIRE! A six-ply or a ten-ply tire probably has only 2 physical plies - but these plies are equivalent in strength to the archaic standard of measuring a tire's strength by the number of cotton plies used in the casing. If you see any reference to plies on a modern tire, it is only a "ply rating". Most tires don't even carry a ply rating - they will have a "load index" and likely a "load range". An example of a tire that carries all three ratings would be my Nokian snow tires, which have a ply-rating of 8, a load index of 108 and a load range of D. And they have only 2 physical tread & sidewall plies...