Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:25:02 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONMARKETING.NET>
Subject:      My experience with the SA Trailer Hitch

I purchased one of the Bus Depot's SA trailer hitches last fall - it is extremely heavy duty and looks pretty neat too - completely invisible except for the shovel-shaped hitch mounting plate sticking down a few inches from the bumper. For those concerned, it won't really affect your "exit angle" and might even save you from smushing your muffler or rear apron if you are doing something really silly. If I need to reach the top of the van in the back, I'll balance on the hitch rather than stand on the bumper - it really is that solid.

That said, let me tell you it was a b*tch to install! The hitch attaches via three existing holes in the rear frame rails - two formerly used by the old bumper brackets, and one a bit farther forward. You first secure some large nuts in the spaces provided on the hitch frame, then insert the hitch frame into the frame rails, then thread bolts through holes in the frame rails into the captive nuts. Good luck! It took me about an hour of fiddling, repositioning and undoing before I got the rear 4 bolts to engage. No matter how I positioned the hitch frame, though, I could not get the other two forward nuts to line up with the holes in the frame rail. I could have enlarged the holes in the frame rail, but it looked solid enough as it was so I let it be.

Then I tried to install the bumper. (Mind you, this might not apply to you - I have a '90 syncro (non-GL) which just has a black metal bumper with the full-length rub strip.) One set of brackets was definitely not for my bumper. The other set left my bumper about 2" too far back and about an inch too high - no way to attach the plastic end caps without drilling holes, and it looked a little silly too. I ended taking one of the bracket sets, cutting a few inches off one end and drilling new holes... and then drilling new holes in the bumper under the rub strip... and then drilling out some of the metal band on the inside of the rub strip to clear the bolt heads in the new position on the bumper. Between cutting, measuring, fitting, drilling, re-fitting, etc. that took about 6 hours.

The notch is easy, by the way - 5 minutes with a hacksaw and a pair of pliers.

So all told, what should have been the simple job of removing... let's see... 8 bolts, cutting a little notch, and reinstalling 12 bolts ended up taking an entire day. I'm not publishing this info. to discourage anyone from getting one of these hitches - only to warn you that the manufacturing tolerances don't seem to be terribly precise and the job might not end up being as easy as you think.