Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:29:25 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine temps sightly OT, was Fiberglass Taped Exhaust
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>

Interesting commentary about the temp sensor providing data so the ECU can direct a backoff on turbo boost pressure when it gets to hot.

Distantly related only by the science of it, is the fact that jet aircraft engines operate similarly , in that pilots have to keep an eye on two things to protect the engines and get best performance. EPR - Exhaust Pressure Ratio. TIT - Turbine Inlet Temperature. On a cold day like in Alaska in winter, pilots really have to keep an eye out because the cold air being injested can result in an EPR that reflects an overpower/over torque condition and can destroy the engine. On the other hand, really hot TIT on takeoff on a hot day at high altitude- produces a poor EPR which means low relative power. Then it requires a take off run of miles to ever get off the ground. It may also require the load in the aircraft be limited as well. All of that has to be calculated for every flight made to ensure that the load and the power available and the lift that can be generated can get the airplane safely into flight.

Just my two cents.

John Rodgers Birmingham, AL