Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:28:35 GMT
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oh no, not tires again!

Marc -

I will chime in and say that mixed tires on the same axle are not a good idea. It also sounds like tread separation to me. Better get them checked right away. The only tire I ever had blow destructively had tread separation (15 years ago in a VW Dasher wagon, fortunately on the rear.)

The Conti is probably an OK tire for the Vanagon - 99/97 is probably the load range, and I believe 97 is what my '87 Westy specifies.

The other three could be passenger tires with a load range of 90 although the max inflation might mean they are low end truck tires.

The number of plies in the sidewall doesn't mean anything, as far as I know. No one makes 6-ply or 8-ply tires anymore, they make 6-ply and 8-ply "Rated" tires, but the actual numeric load range rating is the best way to go.

An inexpensive alternative that I have been happy with is the Kumho 852. Load range about 103 in the 195R-14 size, and a reasonable all-weather tread pattern.

At a minimum I would end up with matched tires on the same axle, and the heaviest load rating on the rear.

Good luck!

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID

From: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@adelphia.net> Reply-To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@adelphia.net> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Oh no, not tires again! Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:29:54 -0400

Hi all,

I'm back for a short time because I've run into an odd situation and I think my tires may be the culprit. <SNIP> Now,about a thousand miles later, the van rocks lightly, but regularly, at slow speeds, almost as if there were a bump on one of the tires. At higher speeds the van seems to vibrate, with a fair amount of road noise. I checked out the tires, which were uniformly low at 37 psi, and pumped them up to the max rating listed on 3 of them, 44 psi. I haven't yet fully tested the effects of this. The 4th tire is different. <SNIP> Here are the numbers and what I understand about them. I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on what the other numbers mean.

One tire: Continental Transport 185R14C RS771 DOT CUKM CWC 496 185 R 14C 99/97 N 55 PSI Tread: 5 Plies (2 Rayon, 2 Steel, 1 Nylon) Sidewall: 2 Plies, (1 Rayon, 1 Nylon) Load Range C

This one sounds like a halfway decent tire, but probably right at the lower end of what I should be looking for in terms of # of plies and load range. I understand the size part except for the RS771. Not sure what 99/97N is, or what the DOT numbers mean.

Three tires: Metric Radial (Who is this made by?) 185R14 90S Treadwear: 280 Traction: B Temperature: B Made in Brazil URM-203 R-35441 K-7371 M&S 44 PSI DOT C2J5 HPKR 256 Tread: 3 Plies (1 Polyester, 2 Steel) Sidewall: 2 Plies, Polyester