Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:07:42 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thinking about adding Ratio rockers
Comments: To: mark_hb@hotmail.com

Mark, Rhino rockers use a 9 mm valve adjusting screw. The Rhino Feet are 9 mm and the whole head swivels (patterned after the 911 Porsche style) RATHER than the 8 mm swivel tips screws that have a head with a ball that has a flat spot and the ball swivels.

The 1.25 rockers at FGA are most likely 8 mm shaft screws unless they say other wise.

Stock VW WBX rockers are 10 mm screws.

The Berg style is the slider type. Rather than the screw sliding on the valve tip the face of the rocker arm slides on the valve tip. They have are offset so the side load is decreased with the increased lift.

The Pauter roller tip rolls on the valve tip, this style eliminates more side load than the slider method Berg employs.

When one increases the lift of the valve, the valve train must work harder to move that weight further. The stock valve springs were designed to move X amount of weight Y distance. Add ratio rockers and the weight is multiplied by adding Y + Z (being the increased lift) The stock springs are now being asked to push the same weight further.

In valve train design, you want to reduce the weight that the springs have to move OR increase spring pressure to be able to move the same weight better, to control valve float (This is where the springs can not close the valve fast enough and it stays open)

There are several methods to doing this.

1 Decrease valve weight: stainless steel, titanium 2 Decrease push rod weight Cromoly 3 Decrease retainer weight Cromoly, titanium 4 Decrease rocker weight aluminum alloy 5 Decrease the weight on the valve side of the rocker

Depending on what the budget and design of the engine: HP, RPM limit determines the components of the valve train.

If you increase spring pressure, you shorten the life of the lifters and cam. VW determined the pressure to control the valves and live a long life, I did not want to increase the pressure so I opted to lighten the weight the stock springs have to push to control the valves at higher RPMs.

The Berg method of putting the screw on the side opposite of the valve tip helps to reduce reciprocating weight, but they rockers are still made from forged steel: Heavy.

To further reduce this reciprocating weight, Pauters rockers are made out of a lightweight aluminum alloy with a roller tip. This also reduces side load on the valve stem.

When I put together my engine, I used the stock springs and lightweight Cromoly push rods. They weighed a fraction of the weight the stock steel weighed AND are stronger and are more resistant to flexing then the stock steel. I also used Cromoly spring retainers along with racing valve locks to further lighten weight. I used the 9 mm 1.25 ratio rockers with the 911 style rhino swivel feet to reduce side load on the valve. I also utilized a solid rocker shaft to eliminate the spring clips that can break.

Had I seen the Pauter roller rockers one year ago, I would have used them to further reduce the reciprocating weight and plus the above added benefits. They are also cheaper than the Berg rockers.

When you reduce the reciprocating weight, you "effectively" increase the valve spring pressure. By this I mean that there is less weight for the spring to push so it can control the valve better AS IF it were a heavier spring, BUT you do not have the wear of a heavier spring.

If I were going with ratio rockers today I would seriously look into and most likely buy the Pauter roller tip rockers for a bulletproof valve train.

Robert