Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:17:10 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thinking swap?  Engine options are only half the story...What
Comments: To: wdavidson@thegrid.net

>> You take this engine thing way too personally... >> and then you try to promote it to everyone else as >> the best option...

Not really, I just want others to KNOW that there are viable options to swapping out the engine.

The swapping crowd seems to constantly compare the stock engine specs to the I4 and other options while ignoring the improved specs for the improvements done to the WBX by me and others.

>> 1. Few of us on the list have the skills to >> duplicate your engine.

I choose to make it simply, make it fairly easy to reproduce by others and mechanics.

The changes I made require no more than bolt together skills. I made no dimensional changes, but there are larger stroke cranks, pistons and other parts available. The does not need to be clearanced, etc. I did change the cam slightly. The grinder did the work and I bolted it in.

I choose to keep the stock FI system, but there are many different options available from single throat carbs to dual-dual throat digital FI systems to turbos that with a little modification can be used to significantly increase power.

>> 2. Even with all your skills you may have over >> looked something... something that may not show up for >> many 10's of thousands of miles.

What? I considered all parts of the engine. I have over 27,000 miles and no troubles with the engine. And now that I have resolved the FI problems it runs great.

>> 3. Even if your engine is perfect it is doubtful >> that everyone who attempts these 'improvements' >> would attain the same level of perfection.

Why not? The changes are to the PARTS used in assembly NOT in the way the parts are assembled. If the same parts are used, then the same results will be made Right?

>> 4. A big advantage to buying an assembly line engine >> that has been out for years is that at least the >> major problems have been identified ... maybe even >> eliminated... and there are no skills required other >> than writing a check.

Was not the WBX engine an assembly line engine??? Has it not been out for years? Do we not know the major problems?

I along with others have WORKED out the bugs in the engine and ELIMINATED some of them.

>> 5. The Tii engine to which you were comparing your >> engine comes with a warranty... yours does not.

You are paying for the warranty in the cost of the engine. When you put the WBX engine together according to the manual, check all measurements, you do not need a &#8220;warranty&#8221; that is just insurance for the factory worker having a bad day and not doing something correctly. He might be having any number of problems in their life that will affect how they will put together, wrong bolt here, incorrect torque there.

It is erronious for you to believe that ALL factory engine will be perfect comming off the line.

If you use a mechanic and they do not put the engine together correctly or installed it poorly, then they are responsible.

There are NUMERIOUS VW people that put together their own engine, plus many others that do not have &#8220;warranties&#8221; but do it any way because they trust themselves and do not fear it.

Robert