Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:25:07 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Finally found some inexpensive GL-4 transmission oil!
Comments: To: k1cajun <k1cajun@pipeline.com>

This is along the lines of what I was thinking - I bought some GL-5 made by Texico - it says it is compatible with GL-3, GL-4 and MIL-2105 specs. 2105 and GL-4 is what I see on most of my repair manuals so I bought it... but, I think there are LOTS of trannies out there with GL-5 in there - heck the VW dealer installed GL-5 in my Syncro!

At 08:57 AM 01/09/2000 -0500, k1cajun wrote: >David Marshall wrote: >> >> ... there is a small privately owned bulk >> oil agent here in town and they had a 25L bucket of GL-5 that was GL-4 and >> GL-3 compatible made by Texico for $32.95 CAD... just passing on the tid >> bit for other people in the need! >> > >You might want to read what Pennzoil has on their website >http://www.pennzoil.com under Frequently Asked Questions (question #2). >There seems to be a problem with their HTML code that makes this page >not display properly for me at home and at work. I get a blank screen, >but then I use Netscape's 'View - Page Source' menu to see the HTML code >where you can read this: > >===== Beginning of cut & pasted Penzoil text ===== >2. What happens if API GL-5 gear oil is used in an API GL-4 gear oil >application? > > API GL-4 and API GL-5 products typically use the same extreme pressure >(EP) additive system, with the API GL-5 having about twice the >concentration of a API GL-4. In service, these additives become active >under extreme load and temperature when the protective oil film can be >squeezed away. EP additives work by forming wear-resistant compounds >with the metal of the gear tooth surface. As the gears mesh, these >compounds shield the gear teeth from direct metal-to-metal contact that >would cause wear and damage to the gears. If too little of the active >additive is present, proper protection would be compromised. Too much >of this additive could cause excessive chemical corrosion of the gear >surface. If an API GL-5 gear oil is used in a application where API >GL-4 gear oil is called for, chemical corrosion of "yellow metal" >components may occur, such as bronze synchronizers, brass bushings, >etc. This may lead to shifting difficulties or shortened equipment >life. >===== Ending of cut & pasted Penzoil text ===== > >So they say that double the additive makes the lube GL-5. But it still >has the required amount that defines lube as GL-4. So it leads to a >definition problem. Is it still GL-4 ? Some manufactures will define >GL-5 as also meeting the specs for GL-4 since the definition apparently >does not say what the upper limit is. But Pennzoil doesn't see it that >way and does not consider GL-5 as being GL-4 at the same time. I've had >discussions with someone at another discussion board who says his >sources, including a chemist, says it's OK to use GL-5 and that it's an >old wives tale that it will hurt your tranny. He admitted that Pennzoil >might be right. > >So keep this in mind. It's all up to who do we believe. Some >manufacturers and FLAPS may simply be trying to shave production and >inventory costs by providing only one product. If the damage is done >over the long haul, it's hard to pin anything on them. > >

-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --