Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2000 08:52:02 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: leaking propane,unrelated Rialta question
Comments: To: Douglas Prescott <vwwesty84@YAHOO.COM>

> When propane is turned on at the tank we smell it leaking. This smell is > far more noticeable outside, and I believe it is not within the walls of > the van. This is not a problem when using the stove, so I'm thinking > pressure regulator. Just a guess, as I don't really know what the > regulator does. But it does provoke a new thought: Could this somehow be > related to the fact that I've never been able to light the stove? I'm > thinking that the regulator may be allowing too much pressure to enter the > van. Not a problem when at the stove, but blows out any spark I may > produce when attempting to light the refrigerator. Make sense? If so, is > this something I can replace myself? (I consider myself a competent, > though inexperienced mech)

You're jumping to conclusions that could cause you to spend money unnecessarily...

If you smell more than a little propane you either have a leak or you are near the end of your propane... the odor gets stronger towards the bottom of the tank and it can really reek... in that case it's not a leak; it's just the odor of what is coming out while appliances are in use. If you only smell it once in awhile it could be the pressure relief blowing off on your regulator... that is normal as propane inside the tank expands due to heat an build pressure.

If you haven't filled the tank in a while or suspect it may be low... just go fill the tank and see if the leak goes away...

If not...try to find a leak... mix up some soapy water or barrow you kid's bubble blowing solution... put it in a spray bottle... without any flames nearby turn on the propane... spray all the threaded fittings one at a time... have good lighting and watch carefully for bubbles... that would be your leak... especially notice the packing nut on the manual open/close valve stem... if this leaks just tighten it down a little until it stops making bubbles... Sometimes these manual valves will leak if you don't turn them all the way to full open...

In any case, even if the pressure regulator is not adjusted correctly at 11 water column inches of pressure I don't think that would cause your leak... but it could cause your fridge to not light... If you don't have a mannometer to measure the pressure it is possible to make one... it's in the archives somewhere... or you can take it to a RV shop or Dometic Service Center (see the yellow pages) and they can measure it and adjust it for you.

But there are plenty of other things that could cause your fridge to be difficult or impossible to light... there is a write up on lighting the fridge at www.vanagon.com Beyond the lighting technique when was the last time you cleaned out your burn chamber and the air intake and exhaust tubes??? This too could case the problem of not lighting... as well as a bad thermocouple. If you don't want to do the work yourself ask around for an experienced Dometic Service Center and take it to them... but ask around for recommendations... some of these places rarely see a Dometic 182 ... a few of the old timers have seen them plenty...

Good Luck, Bill