Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:26:29 -0700
From:         Bill Transue <thetrans@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Radiator fan progress.. advice still sought..

Several list members have helped me with my vexing radiator fan woes in my 87 Westy syncro. Here's the latest report, and I appreciate any advice in tracking down the problem:

I FINALLY got the fan to turn by jumpering properly. Its so weird because I tried the jumpering before but for some reason the fan didn't turn over.

Now, here's what I observed:

a) The only jumper combo that worked was one outside to a middle connector. The other outside to middle produced nothing. The outside to outside produced nothing, but I did hear relays click (possibly the pos & neg shorting or perhaps the relays for the other speed were opening but no juice was flowing to the fan?).

b) I'm guessing all I hear is the low speed. My recollection of high speed was that it sounds like a jet turbine. While the low speed was strong, it didn't blow me away

Questions:

1) Will ONLY the high speed come on when the engine is at high temperatures or will the low speed come on first then followed by the high speed. If I run the engine stationary at over 2000 RPMS, no fan has come on at all, and eventually the temp gauge indicates well above the median (blinking light position) and the coolant boils over. If it's just the high speed that's not working would this explain the lack of a fan operating?

2) Should I be able to get both speeds working via jumpering?

3) If its just one speed causing trouble, how do I ago about tracing the short or problem. By getting the fan working, we've eliminated the radiator switch, resistor & relay and fan itself, leaving only wiring, shorts and grounds as the culprit, right?

4) When I jumper, the fan doesn't always kick right in. Seems to take some juggling of the jumper wire. I mention this only because there may be a loose connection somewhere downstream which prevents 100% performance when I jumper. Not sure how relevant this is but I mention it in case it is important.

Sorry to pester. Getting the fan to work is a major relief (maybe I'll avoid a whole radiator disassembly!). Now finding the real problem seems within reach!

Bill