Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:01:26 -0400
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: diesel question
Comments: To: Southard Family <southard@GIS.NET>

The engine ran fine until the gasket went. I suspected that was went wrong because of the following symptoms I experienced: I noticed the head was "seeping" oil from the gasket for quite awhile. Then one day while driving it, I noticed it slowly dropping power and I looked at the dash and noticed a red light on. I can't remember which it was. I pulled over and noticed coolant coming from the exhaust pipe and lots of smoke.

I just finished double and triple checking (for the fourth time) the timing.

I am sure the TDC mark on the bellhousing is inline with the cam shaft. I used feelers guages the measure the distances on either side from head surface to slot surface. I also checked the injection pump timing again tonight. I went so far as to advance it and retard it by about .10 just to get a "feel" for where it's at. I found that my true measurement position seemed to be the lesser of all evils.

The lack of power and amount of smoke is so severe that I think it must be something other than the timing. Granted my timing may still be off, slightly (becuase I don't have all the proper tools, had to fabricate a brack to hold the dial guage), but I don't think it would impact as much as I'm seeing.

I'm going to check the compression next.

And other suggestions?

Brad

On Friday, September 01, 2000 1:19 PM, Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM> wrote: > I had to replace the head gasket in my 82 diesel westy. <snip> > once I did get the right gasket and > put everything together, the engine runs, but smokes a huge amount, and has > NO power.

Was the engine running ok before the head gasket replacement?

> I've checked, adjusted and readjusted the timing and am about > 95% sure that is not the problem.

I've sometimes found that, after I've adjusted the tension on the timing belt, the slot on the end of the camshaft is not exactly parallel with the cylinder head when the TDC mark on the clutch pressure plate. My dial indicator on the injection pump can be right on the money, but that slot is not right. Essentially the injection to crankshaft timing is correct, but the injection to camshaft timing is off and the camshaft to crankshaft timing is off. I repeat the Bentley procedure on page 23.4 until I get it right all the way around.

> I did the check (as per Bentley) the injectors by loosening each union, one > at a time. Every cylinder slows the engine idle. I'm thinking that maybe > all 4 injectors got dirt in them.

I would have interpreted this to mean that the injectors are NOT the problem.

> Is there a common socket size that will get those injectors out?

I use a Craftsman 27mm 12 point Deep socket. You need to make sure the inside diameter(?) remains constant deep enough to clear the fuel overflow nipples when the socket is seated. (Geez, I hope that makes sense!)

Maynard '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD