Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2000 16:24:45 -0700
From:         Bill Transue <thetrans@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Radiator Fan problem solved - solution enclosed

I'm offering this solution for archive purposes and as info for list readers. Thanks to all on the list who helped me track down the problem!

I fixed the radiator fan problem in my 87 Westy Syncro (after replacing a bunch of parts I probably didn't need). Here's what I found:

First, Ken's trick of jumpering finally worked. The fan came to life, indicating first that it wasn't the fan motor. But strangely, the jumper would only work kind of hit or miss.. once it would work, then it wouldn't. Hmm.. sure seemed to indicate that a short was happening somewhere.

I broke out the Bentley's and figured I'd check all the relays and fuses one more time. In looking at the Bentley's I noticed the diagram for the back connectors to the fuse & relay panel. I figured this might be worth checking to make sure everything was in fact plugged in right (especially since all the fuses did in fact check out).

I unscrewed the fuse panel, and found the T type plug which connects the panel to the wires going to the radiator switch. Everything looked OK. Then, I happened to see two star shaped brass units which served as a hub for all the grounds, behind the fuse panel. Hmm... if its a ground problem, maybe this is worth some inspection...

Each star unit had male plugs for approx ten female ground connectors, and was then screwed to the firewall. Of the two, the first one closest the fuse box looked just like brand new. The second, however, had significant corrosion on the rear posts.

I took all the connectors off and then using a wire brush mounted to a dremel moto tool, I cleaned each post and each connector. Put everything back on, cruised around to get the engine hot, then let her heat up at standstill. Just as things started to get hot I heard the sound I was looking for.. the radiator fan coming to life! Cooled everything down just fine. Tried it again for good measure, and the thing even worked after the engine was shut down.

Crisis of the moment solved!

Bill