Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2000 20:19:29 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Interior lighting possibility...

Someone posted a question about where to locate a 12V power source in the passenger area for adding some additional lighting.

Well, if you have an '86 - '91 Westfalia, above the sliding door is an air duct for bringing fresh air into the cabin. Inside this air duct is some heavy gauge wiring wrapped in black plastic.

I can only surmise that this wiring is for the AC evaporator fan and thermostat, which are in the back AC cabinet. I don't know if this is switched 12V DC or whether it's hot all the time (which you would want for lighting). But, even if this wiring isn't appropriate to use, you could still run some dedicated wiring through the duct, as this seems to be an ideal place to mount fluorescent or incandescent lighting. I plan to explore this option. The duct comes apart, so running the wiring may be easy.

Another place to add a light, in my opinion, is right above the engine compartment. This would double as both a luggage compartment courtesy light and an aid to viewing the engine at night, should one need to. It would be a simple matter to add a fluorescent light to the ceiling panel, right below the AC evaporator.

My '82 Adventurewagen has lighting like this in the back.

Dan