Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Sep 2000 09:36:13 -1000
From:         "Imua Camper Co." <elua@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Autostop Valve Problem Solved - Repair proceedure
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

Nice job! This is a great exploration- I will try the same on one of mine, however, do you think that there are any issues with the type of grease, i.e- how it may react with a gas like propane. Just wondering if there is a specific type to use in this type of application. This procedure is something that should be put on the vanagon.com 'tech' page.... thanks Ric- Shawn

>After getting advice from the list (replace the AutoStop w/generic fill >valve - approx $40) to one RV supply house's piece of advice (have to >replace the tank too - none of the generic valves will fit your tank - >$400) I figured I'd have nothing to loose if I took the AutoStop valve >apart to see what made it work (or not work in my case). > >The valve is a rather simple device.....Open the bleed valve, let the >propane flow in. The "red button" is actually the top end of a sliding >piston which allows LPG to flow into the tank. Once sufficient LPG has >reached the 80% level of the tank, LPG flows through a tube into the other >side of the AutoStop and forces the piston to close the valve. Then you >close off the bleed valve. Simple... > >The problem with my valve was that the piston was not closing all the way. >When the valve is open, there a pinhole vent built into the body of the >valve which bleeds air from the valve as the LPG pours in. The piston is >lubricated with some sort of "jelly" which has apparently hardened after >time and the piston was unable to close completely. > >To fix the problem is simple....pop off the shield from the bottom of the >tank. Unscrew the overflow tube from the tank. Place some clean paper >towels or news paper under the tank. Remove the four screws holding the top >of valve in place. Carefully remove the right hand side (as you face the >valve) of the valve. > >Remove the "red button" which is actually a plastic cap. Gently push the >piston out. Be careful not to drop it or to bung up the rubber O-rings. >Clean the surface of the valve and the bore with alcohol. To lubricate the >valve I used a synthetic light grease. I'm not sure that Vaseline will >work...as it degrades rubber and I'm not sure what the O-rings are made of. > >Gently put the piston back in place, then put the right half of the valve >in place. Once the right half is in place put the screws in and gently >tighten them. Put a little teflon tape on the fittings for the tube and put >the tube back in place. > >I took the Westy to the propane place....and voila...no leak! > > >Ric

Shawn Zenor '81 std; '82 AdventureWagen; '82, '84, '85, '86, '91 Westfalias '95(?) Barracuda mt. bike (pre Ross sell-out)

VW Camper rentals in Hawaii http://www.imua-tour.com Guided surfing and mountain bike tours