Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 2000 06:20:20 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on Tents, Heads, Tires, and Hoses (longish)
Comments: cc: jwarner@netwalk.com

In a message dated 8/31/00 10:34:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

<< Tents - I've seen a lot of discussion about tents lately and felt I should mention one that I've scoped out. I spent about 2 months researching my options for a side tent and after narrowing my choices down to about 4, settled on the Cabela's Truck Tent.

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL 1998/CabFALL1998ASAbAA/IA880F

Although it's designed to attach to the back it appears it could also work off the side. After several discussions with the company I've established that it should fit the back very well. Even better, it's only $200! I was prepared to buy it when I suddenly stumbled onto and purchased a used Westfalia side tent w/floor in relatively good condition. I thought those of you looking for a tent should know about it and I may yet buy one anyway. If anyone does pick one up, please let us know what you think. >>

I have this tent. I bought it a few years ago at Canadian Tire on sale for $199 CND. It was labelled as being made by SPALDING. After examining the picture it sure looks like the same exact tent. It will not connect to the side door of a Westfalia without some modifications. The bottom of the opening of the connection to the van is too high. Needs to be cut down about 6" on each side if I remember correctly. Then you have to remove the existing zipper and sew in a new longer one. I did this and it was a bit of a job manhandling all that tent material through the sewing machine. But, it did work and I use it all the time now. I also sewed a strip of Velcro around the edge of the connecting flap and glued a strips of Velcro around the inside edges of the side door opening. For the bottom I use the connecting straps that are already on the tent flap to connect to any convient frame members. This is a good light weight tent that takes about 15 minutes to set up and is inexpensive. You do have to make the modifications though !

Cheers

Frank Condelli '87 Westy & Lionel Trains <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCC</A> & Capital City VW Club member Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service for the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A> Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com