Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:24:14 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: petrol consumption
Comments: To: David Del Ben <ddelben@AIRINTER.COM.AU>

What kind of gas is everybody on the list running? I've never put anything but regular gas in my vanagons and never had any problem... should I be using a higher octane? (sounds like I'm opening up a huge thread, eh?)

BTW, in Hilo, Hawaii (the Big Island), regular gas is $1.97/gallon... in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (the other side of the Big Island - read tourist central) the same gas is $2.15. Go figure. Cuz they can I guess. My mileage seems real consistent at 17 - 18 MPH, but I have a hell of a time getting an accurate read... the syncro gas tank is the hardest to top off of any tank I have ever had. After it clicks off the first time, I can (very, very slowly) add another four gallons! But it takes forever. Is this a typical syncro gas tank situation or do I have a restriction of some kind? Bus is like brand new otherwise.

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddy-O" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 ph. 808-935-5557 fax 808-935-0066 hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com

No, 5 speed manual. Optimax is a relatively new petrol in Oz - costs 7c/litre more, but has the 98 Octane rating and a lot of 'get-up-& go' It's really good stuff as it gives more performance, better fuel consumption, more responsive engine - and claimed to clean your engine by eliminating carbon build-up and have much cleaner exhaust emmissions. I'm currently doing a fuel consumption test - 5 tanks of this new Shell Optimax - get the average - then 5 tanks of normal unleaded (92 Octane rating) to get a good comparison of fuel consumption between the 2. If anyones interested - I'll email them the results.

Also.....ooooooops. Make that 21 mpg for my fuel figures below. I forgot about the US Gallon differnce - I was using UK gallons. In any case - it's 11.2 litres / 100 km.

BTW - just out of interest - how much is petrol in Canada? In USA? Ours has just shot from abot 75 cents per litre to the present $1/litre in the past 7 months!!!!!

David Del Ben 85 - 1.9 Vanagon

-----Original Message----- From: Dan Landry [SMTP:landry_skidd@hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 7:24 AM To: ddelben@airinter.com.au Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: petrol consumption

Hello,

Is your's an automatic?

We are in Canada - but still can't get 98. Highest I can put in is 94, which I do. No fuel additives but engine is treated very kindly

Danl

Bedford, Nova Scotia

----Original Message Follows---- From: David Del Ben <ddelben@airinter.com.au> Reply-To: "ddelben@airinter.com.au" <ddelben@airinter.com.au> To: "'Dan Landry'" <landry_skidd@hotmail.com>, "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: RE: petrol consumption Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:48:43 +1100

Sorry Bud, I consistently get approx. 11.2 l/100km [25.2 MPG] in combined highway/city driving. By: Using Optimax high octane (98) unleaded - do you have that in USA? Nulon Engine treatment Kid glove treatment of car

David Del Ben 85 - 1.9 Vanagon