Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:43:33 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      89 syncro westy ac fixed (correctly this time)
Comments: To: johnpatt@warwick.net
Comments: cc: ddelben@airinter.com.au

OK... time to report on the final fix on my ac system. Just over a month ago I had to replace my compressor, receiver drier and expansion valve. Unfortunately, local ac shop (not familiar with vw ac units) could not get the unit to work after new parts were installed without adding six pounds of R-12 (that's the only freon available here). Several list people informed me that six poounds is way too much and not the solution to the problem.

Anyway, it finally got fixed right. Seems, according to my tech, that vw ac units are charged a bit differently than other cars. My guy said usually the refrigerant is added to the high side and then run awhile and the high and low sides adjust to the right levels... but in vw's something else has to happen to the low side after the refrigerant is added to the high. I don't know what he was talking about, but perhaps John or David here can elucidate us further. Maybe this is just a shop out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that didn't know about the difference between VW ac and other cars, but it might be nice if the list members know what needs to happen so they can see if the shop they use knows what the h*ll they're doing.

Anyway, the ac is REALLY cold now... they measured it at 42 degrees which sounded awfully low to me, but who's to complain? Gets plenty hot here... we can use it.

BTW, thanks to everybody who helped me out on this problem. List is great!

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddy-O" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 ph. 808-935-5557 fax 808-935-0066 hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com

-----Original Message----- From: John [mailto:johnpatt@warwick.net] Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 9:22 PM To: Mick Kalber Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: R12 Overharging is NOT a solution!

Hi Mick,

Something just occurred to me about your situation. If the evaporator was restricted (not blocked or perforated)like a crimp in the evaporator "tailpipe" or outlet, the following might occur:

1) The high side would NEVER be high because the compressor could not get the necessary R12 vapor quantity due to the blockage.

2) The low side would NEVER be low because the vacuum of the compressor could never act fully on the refrigerant vapor due to the blockage.

3) "Massive" amounts of refrigerant may be needed to counter the evaporator blockage and get any cool down performance.

Think about this Mick and talk with your technician (if you haven't choked him yet). I may have just thought myself out of a trip to Hawaii....................

Regards, John