Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:20:16 +1100
From:         David Del Ben <ddelben@AIRINTER.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: petrol consumption
Comments: To: Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>

Let me add some clarifications to some of my previous comments: Unleaded Petrol in Australia is 92 Octane. Premium Unleaded is 95 Octane. This new petrol - Shell Optimax is 98 Octane.

I just used to run the normal unleaded (92 Octane). At times - I tried the Premium Unleaded (95 Octane). Didn't make one iota of difference in either running, performance or economy. About 4-6 months ago - Shell introduced this new petrol - called Shell Optimax. They claim it is a 'new formula' petrol, denser than normal, higher octane rating (98), blah, blah - all the marketing talk. My best friend is a VW Mechanic (good to have friends like that..... huh - he he) - and he said he tried it and couldn't believe the difference.

Going on his suggestion - I also tried it and wow...... Better economy More power More responsive engine Don't think that the VW 1.9's FI systems had the anti knock sensor in them to detect the onset of engine knocking - thus advance the timing for more power/economy for higher octane fuel - too advanced for those days?!?! [someone correct me if I'm wrong] - the difference MUST be in the new fuel formula. They (Shell marketing brochures) say it is a denser fuel so pack more energy in per litre of fuel. I believe they had to manufacture new distilling processes - that's why the 7c/litre premium (or are they just trying to scam us??)

I too was sceptical at first - now I'm converted.

David Del Ben Air International Transit Ph (02) 9830 7119 Fax (02) 9672 1018

-----Original Message----- From: Mick Kalber [SMTP:hotlava@INTERPAC.NET] Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 11:54 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: petrol consumption

>>>i've been running a test for 145,000 miles on my 88 ... using six brands and three octanes. so far, not a nickel's worth of difference between the 87 octane, 89 octane, and 91/92/93 octanes. well, that's not right ... not a nickel's worth of difference in the MPG! all you see is the difference in miles per dollar! :(<<<

kinda what I always figured, but do you feel any increased power, smoother running engine, anything at all from the higher octanes?

Mick Kalber Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 ph. 808-935-5557 fax 808-935-0066 hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com