Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 00:21:05 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Overheated on steep grade in the Rockies/Questions??

My 83.5 Westy overheated today climbing on Route 70 from Vail down toward Denver. (While the destination was lower than where I started there's a real long steep grade to go up before you head down. I think you hit above 10,000 feet on the highway).

I had my front heater on but not the heater fan. The gauge was high, but seemingly not higher than it's been in the past climbing steep grades in the Rockies. But the light started to flash and I immediately pulled over to let the engine cool for about 45 minutes. I lost some coolant through the overflow--maybe a quart tops--probably more like a pint. But you should have heard that coolant boiling when I opened the engine compartment. Not real cool at all. I htough, "S@#$*, somethings gonna blow," but luckly it didn't.

When all was cool I added a 50/50 mix of (autobahn phoshate free) coolant and water to the expansion tank through the license plate opening to bring it up. Then again added a little once I got down the mountain.

Here are the questions:

1.I had to climb the hill real slowly sometimes as low as in 2nd gear in the steepest parts. Probably only going 35 MPH to 40 MPH tops in spots in 3rd gear--although at times could get up to 50 while climbing in some spots. Is this normal for a bus with a 1.9L? I always knew it was underpowered, but....

2. I guess the answer in the future is to open both the front and rear heater valves and man the fan switches, turning them on when the needle rises too high. (BTW the german's let me down with the rear heater switch under the seat and not controllable from the cockpit) But does the 2,000 or so foot elevation gain in a short distance account for enough strain on the engine to create a situation where it would definately overheat without the heaters open ? (Remember I could only travel at about 35 MPH at times and was revving up around 4200--sometime higher-- at times because a higher gear would keep the bus moving for the most part. It would lose MPH and RPMs) Should the radiator fan compensate for the slow speed of the bus enough to prevent overheating under this condition? Should I be investigating a radiator fan problem or a poorly functioning radiator?

Any tricks, advice, or similar experience would help ease my mind. I won't be in the area forever, but do plan to come back on and off.

FWIW I have a new VW canadian engine about 30,000 miles ago. All new hoses--except the heater hoses, thank goodness. Wish I replaced the heater hoses while I had the system open. The needle on my temp gauge runs just above the LED light--meaning toward the high side--undernormal conditions and always has for the 4 years I've owned the bus.

TIA. Colorado is beautiful, BTW.

Jeff 83.5 Westy formerly of NYC, currently in CO.