Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:56:53 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Overheated on steep grade in the Rockies/Questions??
Comments: To: wdavidson@thegrid.net

In a message dated 9/5/2000 1:38:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wdavidson@thegrid.net writes:

> The guys from the east will say it is not normal... but don't listen to > them... they don't know what real mountains are like :)

Bill--

Thanks for the info and advice. Yeah, I am one of those guys from the east and back there you think you know what mountains are and then.....

I'll look into a couple of things with my coolant situation. The coolant was replaced 3,000 miles ago.

I have to check the radiator fan--which I have heard only run on one speed and kind of late in the game IMHO. It seems like it should come on earlier. It may well be operating on two speeds, but like I said I've only heard one and the needle on the guage runs pretty high before it kicks in.

I guess the radiator could be clogged a bit.

And embarrasing I have to admit I was down about 3/4 of a quart of oil, which couldn't have helped the situation, and I'm due for an oil change besides. And I was revving probably over the 4200 mark on and off for a bit.

And KEN-- thanks also for the fan switch advice. Like I said, I don't think my fan has ever come on until the gauge is 3/4 of the way up but I'll run the checks. I've always been suspect of that fan BTW.

Thanks Jeff