Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:08:20 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: 89 Syncro Westy Gear Oil???
Comments: To: hotlava@interpac.net

Mick, I'm not that up on hypoid oil. As I understand it, hypoids use sulfurs. That why they smell the way they do. Like one of your famous volcanoes. Its the sulfur that causes the trouble in the syncro transmission because there is brass in there. The amsoil GL-4 synthetic is used in tractors and the lower end of out board motors. I'll bet that if you check out these sources, you'll find what you want. Synthetics are more important in the cold climates because they become less thick at low temperatures. The small gain that you would have in your climate probably doesn't warrant it. If you find a synthetic, use it but don't fret if you don't. Personally, I would keep searching until you find a GL-4 of the proper weight (see your Bentley) and stay away from anything with the words GL-5 or hypoid. I could very well be wrong here. This is not my area of expertise. Perhaps someone else on the List could help here. -Larry P.S. I can only imagine what a blast it would be to roam around your island in a Westfalia camper.