Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:24:30 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Thinking swap?  Engine options are only half the story...What
              about the transmission...
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

Robert, Have you ever driven an I4 converted Vanagon? I have a "tiny" 1.8L 1986 Jetta GLI motor in my 1984 Westfalia - this makes aproximately 102hp @ 5300 RPM and 110ft/lbs of torque @ 3200 RPM - you know, plus or minus are digits here and there. Almost the same specs as a 2.1L wasserboxer - little more power little less torque - in reality more torque and power due to the 130PSI wasserboxers that are out there in most people's vans! Top speed of my van on the flat is just a tad over 150km/h (5200 RPM) - who drives that fast? I can maintain 100km/h with no problem even going up the steepest of hills by dropping a gear - gets me from point A to point B at the same speed of most of the other cars out there. The 1.8L performs with the same power characteristis as a 2.1L wasserboxer only you can rev it out just a little more for better acceleration when passing someone. Why would I want to throw money into a different transmission - sure a five speed would be nice, but the 4.85 R+P / .85 4th 4 speed that is in there is perfectly suited to the $250 1.8L engine that I have installed in there. 150km/h is fast enough to me and acceleration is not measured with a desk calander any more so I am pretty happy with it - besides who needs speeding tickets! There are a lot of people out there who do clue in to reality and realise that their van isn't worh dumping over $10,000 CAD for a new engine and transmission - most people have to buy groceries and pay the mortgauge and a five speed transmission is only a toy and a dream.

At 04:45 PM 05/09/2000 EDT, Robert Lilley wrote: >When you are thinking about engine options also factor in 'The transmission' as part of the package. > >In SA, with the basic engine (2.3L 5 cylinder) comes with the four speed. ALL other engine options come with the close ratio .457 five speed. The five speed makes better use of the engines power, while giving you a overdrive. > >If you are thinking about spending bucks to go to Tii conversion I4, you will spend @$5000+ for the engine + ??? for labor. Add a close ratio tranny to make up for the lacking low end, add another @$2000 on top of what you have spent and you would pay for a WBX rebuild w/mods, SA 5 speed, hoses, and many other parts towards a restoration (Which I did). > > >You can modify an engine AND ADD a .457 SA five speed tranny for about the same cost as the Tii conversion alone. > > >I just put on a new ECU (I want to run the new ECU before I add the Upgrade chip, to get a before and after conversion performance). With the new ecu the top end power is a stronger, bottom end is smoother and the gas mileage has increased about 1 mpg around town (I have not tested at highway speeds, 65-75 yet, so I should also see an increase on highway mileage). > > >Like I have said, I can go in fifth from 40mph (35 if I do not feel like shifting) to 90 mph+. >Fourth can go from 25mph to 75mph. >The engine can go down to 1500 move the van with no trouble. I can keep it in fifth > >Adding the ECU chip upgrade will increase both power and mileage. > >While you can swap to the Tiico 's kit, you would then need to spend more money to make it run better at low end: cam, intake and other changes to make better power at low speeds OR live with having to rev the engine, which can then shorten it life.... > >Robert > >

-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --