Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:51:11 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Thinking swap?  Engine options are only half the
              story...What...
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

Robert Lilley wrote: > >.................... > After all my engine is BETTER than brand new Factory VW......... >

Well this is a puffed up claim. You may well have done some things to a higher standard than the factory but that does not guarantee that your engine as a whole will lost longer. Time will tell perhaps but since the original 2.1 often goes to 150k miles or more we won't know how yours measures up for several years if ever.

> ..... > Another point is that engineers are paid to make an engine cheaper and not > last as long...... >

The manufacturing decisions make by a large auto company are far too complex for your simple statements. Take the decision by VW to even build the waterboxer. By basing it on the T1 they were able to use their existing machine tooling to lower the cost of building the new engines. They also could reduce potential political problems by keeping current engine plants running longer instead of expanding others or opening new ones. The German auto industry like the US has a strong labor relations element. You can not just close plants and open new ones elsewhere overnight. Why slander the VW engineers? They did a pretty good job with the waterboxer in my book. They had a lot more constraints to work under than you allow.

>..... > I on the other hand have over 18 years experience on making VW engine more > powerful AND making them last longer, but have not been paid... >

I see, your 18 years of occasional puttering puts you in a class above the career engineering staff of VW. I don't think so.

You really should consider not referring to you hoped for performance and durability increases as accomplished fact. They are far from proven or even demonstrated.

> .... > VW dropped the 2L I4 for the 2.3 to 2.6 I5 because the I4 did not make enough > power. VW also is using the .457 five speeds with the 2.6L engines because > they can handle the power the I5s put out....

Maybe they needed all of the 4 cylinder engine production for other hot selling models. With little other demand for the 5 cylinder in their current product line they may have concluded that SA was a logical market segment to put more of the 5 cylinder production so they could keep that production economically viable. This makes more sense than your claim that an engine family that is putting out more power than ever is somehow now not powerful enough when it was previously. Reality is more complex than you appear to realize.

Mark Drillock