Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:05:34 -0700
From:         Joe Tu <joetoo2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Strongest STOCK Waterboxer tranny

Hello,

I have a 90 Vanagon. Which had the ABD coded tranny which has 6/29 ring and pinion. The original one broke its main input shaft, so then we had that rebuilt, then the rebuild lasted about 25,000 miles before the ring and pinion on it blew up. I've done some mods to my motor so it makes more torque, and I drive pretty hard. The 2nd rebuild we got is from a 84 Vanagon, DU coded one. This has a 7/34 ring and pinion and it has 3rd and 4th gears with more TPI (teeth per inch). The guy at the shop which we rebuilt it said that this is the strongest wbx tranny that VW made, and I believe him. This is a smooth tranny. the 7/34 gears are a lot quieter and smoother. He also said that these gears cost a lot more than the 6/29 gears, $450 vs. $700+. I shall see how long this one lasts, so far it is working great. The 7/34 is a 4.86 which lowers my top speed, and 3rd gear is a 1.26 vs a 1.22, so it accelerates a bit faster. I just wanted to ask the list members who also have the DU coded manual tranny about their experience, and also the tranny people if this is the truth that the DU coded tranny is the strongest 4spd.

Thanks!

Joe

[text/html]