Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:29:18 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thinking swap?  Engine options are only half the story...What
              about the t...
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org

I have looked at my van not as a toy or dream, BUT as my NEW car, I am just building it one piece at a time.

AND I SAID THAT "If you are thinking about spending bucks to go to Tii conversion I4,,,"

There are many that have the money and those that do not. You can choose from many different options to increase power for the WBX at different price levels. Many have excellent Vanagon bodies but bad engines, it is cheaper to replace the engine and tranny than buy a new Car or Van.

>> The 1.8L performs with the same >> power characteristis as a 2.1L wasserboxer only you can rev it out just a >> little more for better acceleration when passing someone

I did not want to settle for the same as, I wanted better.

>> Top speed of my van on the flat is just a tad over 150km/h (5200 RPM) - who drives that fast?

I can hit 90 mph (145 km/k) in fifth, barely pressing the gas pedal AND at @75 mph (@122km/h) I am getting 25 mph, I just put on a new ECU in preparation for the new ECU chip I am getting, and the power and mileage increased, so that figure should increase.

I can ALSO drive fifth at 35 mph and accelerate back up. The RPMs are below 2000.

>> Why would I want to throw money into a different transmission

When yours fails and you need a new one. I wanted the five speed for overdrive, plus with the stronger engine I built, I did not need the low ratios of the four speeds. My whole goal of what I did to the engine is increase power and economy.

You have to look at the overall costs of the upgrades, not just the initial costs.

Robert