Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2000 21:56:31 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine and Transmission Swap BS: was Thinking Swap ...(Now
              Full)

TBerk,

I certainly agree that balancing is an excellent high yield proposition. Whenever I have to do a bottom end, I take it to the balancing shop. For a used engine rebuild I also true the mains and con rod bearing surfaces at the same shop. Typically the shop will have a good package price on the work. I also make it a point during rebuild to get the latest and most expensive rings I can (usually perfect circle). But these are comments and good procedures like block boilout, oil gallery cleaning, etc., etc which apply to any rebuild opportunity. Let me also say that I have never had a good experience with a mass market rebuilt engine (meaning predone engines where you return your core for credit). Rebuilding your engine either personally, by a good mechanic or by an engine shop is the only way to go. MY SOAPBOX. This is the only way to assure yourself of quality parts being used.

As to the Digifant debate, I clearly prefer the Motronic solution. Unfortunately, I could not mount the cross-flow head and keep the rear deck height! That said, my chipped Digifant II spins me up to speeds (as indicated by David Marshall) at which I am tacking to do freeway bends rather than steering. I'm getting too old for that level of excitement!

BTW, my comment about risk on the Tiico conversion is only related to the risk of choosing an implementing mechanic, if you are not personally installing. Good men and women are hard to find, and a conversion requires an inventive soul since there will be many nagging details to solve. Negotiating the real price for the install could be threatening to both mechanic and buyer. Of course, over time and with the assistance of the list, a cadre of experienced installers will develop.

A final note here. I bought my then Diesel Westfalia for factory European delivery and had a fabulous three months running and camping all over Europe. Unfortunately as I was leaving a castle somewhere near Kasel (at a 45 degree angle, with wife, kid and in laws all stacked in a pile behind the front seats , I took out first gear! (3 weeks into the trip!) At a Munich dealer, they confirmed the problem and ordered a transmission to be shipped ahead to Rome where we were to meet it for installation. In Rome, with the help of a five way bucket brigade translation team: Italian to Greek to German to French to English, we learned that VW sent the wrong transmission. We were then rescheduled for the install in Paris. In Paris we were greeted by angry people apparently complaining about doing warranty work on a German sold vehicle. When it finally arrived in the US, the diesel head gasket blew within 3 months after a scheduled service in La Canada, CA. They had disconnected the radiator fan relay for some inexplicable reason. (And now for the point ... ) The service manager came up to me and said: "Its a shame the engine is still under warranty. I'd take that engine out and put a GTi in tomorrow". Years later (many years later) we met again at the local chevron station. He in his '83 Vanagon with a CIS-E Scirroco (sp?) engine and me in mine. He said some idiot traded the '83 diesel in after the gas crisis and he bought it for a song and had it transplanted in a week!

I quoted the Smog rules just as the referee threw them at me! Hope you're right.

Frank Grunthaner