Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:41:19 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine and Transmission Swap BS: was Thinking Swap
              ...(NowFull)
Comments: To: T Berk <tberk@MINDSPRING.COM>

In California the rules are a little confusing but Frank is right. You may not use an older engine in a swap. The tail pipe emissions do not affect this. Even a very smog clean 84 engine may not be used in an 86 body. You must use the same year or newer engine as body and all of the emissions related equipment must match the year of the engine. This means that Vanagons will likely never be able to use the latest engines as the interpretation of the rules is that all OBD II functions must work along with all indicators that were used in the vehicle the newer engine came in. This mean Check Engine lights and fault code display panels including info related to the tranny codes must be installed in the Vanagon. Since Vanagons do not have electronic speed sensors or tranny sensors some of the codes would not be valid and therefore the swap would be a NO GO unless these sensors were somehow added also.

One small exception to the engine/body year rule is if the swap engine came from a 84 it could be put into a 85 body as long as the 84 engine is identical to one was certified in 85. For example if an identical Audi KX engine was sold in California from 1984-1987 in Audi4000S models one from an 84 could be used in a Vanagon as new as 87 since the Audi KX is the same for all of those years. I am using the KX as an example but it may not be those years exactly.

Mark

T Berk wrote: > > Frank Grunthaner wrote: > > <snip>