Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:16:55 -0400
From:         "1980 VW Westfalia \"Pokey\"" <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Camper Retrofit
Comments: cc: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>

I don't think it would be too big a deal to omit the storage area above the zbed, in fact it might be a good idea I find it obscures my view out the rear, particularly for distance. I wouldn't omit the closet on the drivers side however, it doesn't obscure the window that much and for what you gain in usable storage it is probably worth having. It is nice to have things out of view of thieves.

The drivers seat could be an issue, in my '80 the steering wheel (good luck omitting that) seems to be the biggest obstacle in turning the seat 180 degrees. The other thing is that the fridge stove sink combo unit is right behind the drivers seat leaving little space to put your legs. Other model years may work differently...

That said, I think there is a lot of merit to having a stock passenger van with no camping equipment inside.You'd certainly be looking at less weight in the vehicle and not everyone gets a lot of use out of the full camper (ie: they use it much more often for daily transportation). If you had a fold down rear seat and a pop-top you'd still have a pretty good four person "mobile tent".

Do pick up an inverter and a wire up a second battery under the drivers seat to power your laptop and maybe look at installing Westphalia AC power as well.

Thanks, Chris Gronski Toronto, Ontario, '80 Westy "Pokey" '87 Chevrolet Sprint 5-Door '91 Pontiac Firefly Convertible

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Dorm" <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 3:36 AM Subject: Re: Camper Retrofit