Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:19:02 +1100
From:         David Del Ben <ddelben@AIRINTER.COM.AU>
Subject:      Vanagon Air Conditioning
Comments: To: mike miller <mwmiller@cwnet.com>

hhhmmmmmmm I tend to use a lot of 'filtering' from on the information I read on this list. There's a lot of really great information, then there's information that can be at best be described as 'suspect' - then there's some comments from people that you know are 'old wives tales'.

In my job, I have had a great deal of experience on Condenser Fan durability on Bus A/C systems. The primary item of wear in DC motors is the commutator brushes. The main factors affecting brush wear are: How clean the electrical power suply is Applied Voltage & current density of brushes Brush material, design, construction motor temperature motor rpm

Motor rpm & temperature are relatively minor factors compared to the others. Running the motor on high speed is simply running direct power instead of through a resistor. Maybe the Vanagon radiator fans are not designed to be run on high speed for some reason. I cannot really comment - because I don't know their specific design. Though based on my experience - I doubt it.

Also - you will probably get about 3,000 hours life from the brushes - give or take. Do some calcs and see how long that will last!!

David Del Ben 85 1.9-Vanagon

-----Original Message----- From: mike miller [SMTP:mwmiller@cwnet.com] Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 4:18 PM To: David Del Ben; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Vanagon Air Conditioning

From what I understand from some answers I got on this list running the radiator fan at high speed when the AC is on is not a viable solution. My was wired that way and the AC worked great but the consensus of the list was that the radiator high speed fan was not meant to be run continuously and would burn out. And it's quite expensive.

I'm going to try and rig an auxiliary fan on the condenser somehow. Looks mighty tight in there though.

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Del Ben" <ddelben@AIRINTER.COM.AU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 6:28 PM Subject: Vanagon Air Conditioning