Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Sep 2000 20:35:55 -0500
From:         HERMANN DE BOER <hdeboer@BSSD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Conversions and common sense observations
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>

I remember my brother's company in Germany had a Turbo Diesel Vanagon and we drove the heck out of it on the Autobahn. 165 km/h- with six passengers -was the top speed. I think the engine had to be replaced at 60 000km. I've taken my Westy I4 up to 100mph here in the States on the straight, fully loaded. Sometimes I just forget that I am no longer driving on the Autobahn. The cops don't seem to care, because no vanagon can go that fast anyway,right!!???

Cheers, Hermann

-----Original Message----- From: Stuart MacMillan To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: 9/7/00 3:18 PM Subject: Re: Conversions and common sense observations

Well, maybe slightly down hill, but as long as you don't have Firestone tires brief periods of 85-90 mph on a straight, flat section of interstate highway are possible, safe, and even legal (only when overtaking another vehicle). Honest, I've done it, but I also don't have A/C or power steering sucking any power off. Don't try to corner at those speeds though!

I'll bet dollars to donuts you are in the congested eastern part of the US where 65 mph driving is almost unheard of! ;-) Try driving in So. Cal on a highway like I-40 from Barstow to Needles at anything less than 80. Even then the caravans of semis will pass you going so fast they almost suck your doors off!

Karl Mullendore wrote: > > ----- Original Message ----- > > >Passing at 90 on > > a level, straight section of interstate is easy. > > HUH? Common sense, you say? C'mon Stuart, grow up! ANYONE driving that fast > in a Vanagon on US roads should be locked up. There is NO excuse for ANYONE > to be driving at those speeds. 'Course the 2.1 won't pass anyone that fast > anyway, unless the nose is pointed downhill or it suddenly becomes more > aerodynamic. Unless you mean 90 kph! > > Karl -- Stuart MacMillan Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1 '65 MGB (Driven since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring)

Assisting on Restoration: '72 MGB GT (Daughter's) '64 MGB (Son's)

Parts cars: '68 & '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT