Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:57:42 -0400
From:         Dan Stevens <dstevens@TWCNY.RR.COM>
Subject:      in defense of Tiico engine conversion
Comments: To: tiitrad@directcon.net, SALES@TIICO.COM
Comments: cc: pavanagon <pavanagon@egroups.com>,
          Wetwesties <wetwesties@egroups.com>

Hi All (sorry if this is a sore thumb flame me later for it :) ) http://tiico.com/ I am writing in regards to your inline 4 vanagon conversion. There is a great amount of debate in the "vanagon community" about many issues. including but not limited to over-all cost, I4 resonance at speed, availability of replacement parts, and cal smog legality. http://vanagon.com/ This is a large group of people who love vanagons. Are willing to drive them with KNOWN inherent weaknesses. And many of whom do their own repairs out of need and some sick desire.. there are many who do not know a nut from a bolt also. in their defense they are an amiable group of owners concerned from Longetivity to MPG (even for pushing a brick?) and sometimes don't know how to remove a headrest or figure out the glovebox. This Letter is to inform you of the vanagon mailing list http://vanagon.com/links/lists.html. And I would highly suggest if you are not already a subscriber to do so. You as A Commercial vendor are allowed to add your 2cents worth in your defense. But blatant product promotions and argumentative texts are frowned upon. Your kit looks to contain a Kennedy 15 degree adapter plate, vanagon diesel oil pan, engine mounts, and hoses. these parts are very sturdy and easily replaced from your local dealer. I am not familiar with the exhaust (stock SA?) but if not and there was an effort to add a stainless version would be good. the only drawback is the Kennedy flywheel if in need of replacement can only get from them? or you? also what size clutch did you opt for? the 228mm is highly needed. your High pressure fuel hose looks as if you should have one made for you But I suppose the clamp is fine. I personally am not in need of your product as I have 2 diesels and a Kennedy adapter in hand to do my own engine upgrades. But am a great admirer of anyone who is working to preserve our vans and offer to a limited market a expensive and challenging product.

In my own defense I am not affiliated with Tiico and gain no $$ or fame for this action.. yadda yadda yadda

dan stevens Syracuse NY

feel free to ask or advise. I listen as well as learn.