Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:40:54 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Speedometer Failure

Well, it seems my 88GL has suffered the famous speedo failure. A little famous potmetal gear slipped on the shaft, allowing the shaft to slip out of the hole it rides in, dis-engaging the wormgear that drives the thing , and causing the wheels to tip into mis-alignment.

What to do? What to do?

I have read a good bit about a potmetal wheel that comes loose from the shaft and how you have to take all the little wheels loose, and fasten the potmetal wheel back to the shaft by crimping or using a little super glue....risky business - both. A slip and you have cracked the pot metal. To much super glue, and you have glued the works.And besides that, there is a light coat of light instrument oil all in there. Glue won't hold.

After dissasembly to identify the problem, I found that I didn't want to have to fool with the glue and squeeze routine. So here is how I fixed my Speedo.

QUESTION - HOW DO YOU FIX A 1988 VANAGON GL SPEEDO WHEN THE WHEELS STOP TURNING?

TOOLS - Screw Drivers - 1 small Phillps, 1 Small Common, Small intrument technician screwdrivers - 1 Phillips, 1 Common. 1 pr needle nose pliers, 1 jewelers file or fingernail emery board, 1 pr sharp scissor like cutting instrument capable of cutting sheet brass to 1/32nd inch. 1 drill - dremel tool, Foredom, the like, some small drill bits, and maybe a grinding burr.

MATERIALS: Sheet brass (hobby shop) 1/64 to 1/32 or so. ( I used a piece of scrap...not sure exactly what thickness, but easily bent). It must be sufficiently thick so as to have modest resistance to bending or flexing.

1) Begin by disconnecting the battery.

2) Sit in the driver seat.

3) Remove the instrument panel cover - Sit in the driver seat, and with both hands feel for the slots in the back of the instrument panel cover--toward the windshield. Pull up with the fingers. Should pop loose. Sometimes a little difficult, but can be done. Learn how...it's where you have to check and service the brake and clutch fluid anyway.

4) On the left side of the panel is the head lite switch - on bottom, and a warning lite fixture on top. Both have locking tabs that can be depressed to release them from the panel. Press and remove ...no need to disconnect the connectors. Do the same on the right side of the panel.

5) Now remove the two panel anchor screws holding down the left side, and the one screw towards the windshield on the right side. DO NOT REMOVE - LOOSEN ONLY - the 4th screw - right front corner.

6) Now jiggle the panel to the left while slightly lifting the left end of the panel. This will allow you to work the panel to the left a 1/4 inch so it will clear the screw you only loosened. Now the panel is free from the anchors holding it to the dash.

7) Reach behind the Speedometer and disconnect the wire that is fastened to the Speedo. It is a slip off connector, easy to remove. You might want to look at it through the windshield before removal to see exactly where it is and how it can be slipped off. Easy to do in the blind, once you see it.

8) Now lift and tilt the panel toward the windshield. There is a large connector underneath the panel. It is easy to reach now. With forefinger and thumb pull the connector down to free it.

9) Now the panel is free except for the speedo cable. You can manuver the panel slightly to press the release lever on the cable connector. Do that, and the panel should now be free from the vehicle. I did the speedo cable last since I have big hands and have a hard time reaching into the little space provided for connection/disconnection. I also connected it back up first. Easy to do.

10) Lay out a clean white towel on the work table....helps keep things clean, and you can keep track of little pieces better. Have a good directional light handy.

11) Remove the four fastening screws from the back of the instrument that hold the instrument into the panel. DO NOT REMOVE ANY OF THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION SHEET MATERIAL FROM THE BACK OF THE INSTRUMENT.

12) Carefully remove the instrument, being aware of the pin sticking out the front through the glass in the panel. Lay it on its back, dial face up, on the instrument panel.

13) Remove the needle or pointer. Before you do this. Use tape to mark where the back of the needle is relative to to the face. That way, reinstallation of the pointer will be exactly the same. A watchmakers gear puller was used in this case. Nice to have. However, a shim made from styrene plastic or this brass or aluminum stock should protect the dial face under the needle block while you exert a little upward pressure with a screwdriver blade.

14) Remove the two screws in the dial face that holds it on. Set aside with the screws.

16) The operating mechanism can now be seen. On the 88GL the mileage counter wheels are mounted on a shaft with a pot metal gear on one end of the shaft. On the other end of the shaft is a spacer bushing that provides proper clearance and separates the teflon gear on the end from the shaft support. The teflon gear engages a teflon worm gear.

The potmetal gear is locked to the shaft and serves as a stop for all the counter wheels on the shaft. If the gear loosens, it walks, increasing the spacing between the wheels. This results in an increase in the shaft endplay. The shaft then can move toward the worm gear side and the potmetal gear end slips from its detent. Once that happens, the shaft cocks over, disengages the worm drive and the speedo no longer clocks mileage.

17) First setting the shaft back into it's detent, a handled socket was used for support on the pot metal gear end, and punch and leather mallet on the other, the Teflon gear end of the shaft was tapped. This action drives the shaft a tiny bit through the potmetal gear, resulting in a closing of the spaces between the counter wheels.

18) Noting the screw and plastic pin in the upper left corner of the cover for the counter wheels, a support finger was designed and installed.

19) Remove the screw. Using the bit of sheet brass (must be non-ferrous metal) cut to an "L" shape. This "L" shape must be cut so that the foot of the "L", when bent 90 degrees along the long side, would fit over the screw hole and the pin. The screw will hold it in place, and the pin will help lock it. So two holes need to be drilled in the sheet brass. They need to be a good fit...no slop.

20) Cut the "L" to size, mark for the pin hole and screw hole, drill and ensure the fit, then bend the foot.Now the long side of the "L" will be along side the little teflon wheel, and the other part of the foot will be over the screw-hole and pin.

21) Bend the long side of the "L" so it is in the shape of a "V". The assembly should be set so the bottom of the "V" is against the end of the shaft with the teflon gear. This "finger" should be adjusted by bending, so that the pressure on the end of the shaft is minimal. When the finger is correctly installed and adjusted, the shaft will never move out of position again.

22) Re-assemble in reverse order.

23) When installing the speedo needle be very careful. You may need the slighest tap to get the needle to seat, but it doesn't take much.

I did make pictures of this process, but it may be a while before I get them, and I have no idea if they will be good enough to post somewhere. If someone has the drawing skills, I will be glad to sketch out this "finger" fix and scan it and email over so it can be redrawn and posted.

Best of luck to all who have to deal with the Vanagon Speedo Fix.

John Rodgers 88GL Driver, Birmingham, AL